Chapter 28

Casper's POV:

 I felt better today, honestly. I wouldn't say I have all my strength back, but I think I'm on the mend. The doctor thinks so. I was just sitting up in my bed, thinking. Growing up, I always imagined my life with my brother and our families together....I was so excited to turn sixteen and find my mate so the three of us could bond and spend time together. The thought of growing old together with my mate and parenting our children together thrilled me. I could feel tears coming to my eyes. I feel like it's too late for me...How could a rogue like me, who messed up big time with his little brother, ever be a good mate and dad? 

 "Casper...? Are you alright?" a soft, gentle voice reached my ears. 

 I quickly turned my head to see Nadia standing there beside the bed, looking concerned. I quickly wiped my eyes and nodded. "Y-yea...Yea, I'm alright..." I said quietly.

 Nadia gave a small smile, sitting down on the edge of the bed and taking my hand. "I haven't known you long...And I know that there's something you aren't telling me...But it's ok. I understand. I just want you to know that, I do love you, Casper.."

 I stared at her, wondering if she was being serious or even if I heard her right. "D-do you....Do you really mean that, Nadia....?"

 "I do, Cas." I could feel myself blushing at her nickname, my eyes wide. "I know you might be afraid and have some doubts about our relationship. But I want you to know I'll always be here for you...I promise, Cas...I want to be your mate. I want to be by your side and love you for the rest of my life."

 I looked down, feeling almost shy. I didn't really know what to say. I gulped and looked up at her, giving her a small smile. "I want to be your mate too, Nadia..." I said softly. 

 "But you're afraid. Aren't you...?"

 I looked down sadly and nodded. "It's just...I did so many horrible things...I went from best brother ever to worst brother ever! I was a rogue for years...I just...I don't feel like...Like I'm worthy of your love, Nadia...."

 Nadia frowned, raising my head to look at me. "You were forgiven, Casper. By your family and friends. And, by your mate." she looked at me with a soft, gentle look. "Everything you did, it's in the past. And honestly, I think your worthy...I don't care about what you've done. Or your past. Please, Cas, believe me....You aren't the same man. That much is obvious."

 I gave her a small smile. "How did I get so lucky...To have you as my mate...?" 

 "You aren't the only lucky one, Casper." she smiled at me before planting a kiss on my cheek. "I'm the lucky one." My eyes were wide as I stared at her. Wow....

 Cayden's POV:

 I stood outside my brother's room, looking through the window of the door, smiling to myself as I eavesdropped on my brother's conversation.

 "Didn't your parents ever teach you not to eavesdrop, Cayden?" I jumped, turning around quickly, my eyes wide. Amy stood there, her arms crossed as she smiled at me.

 I smiled innocently. "I-I was just curious.." 

 Amy shook her head and chuckled, walking over and putting her hand on my shoulder. "I know. To be honest, I wanted to check up on them too. By visiting though. Not eavesdropping." 

 I chuckled and put my arm around her. "Maybe we can visit him a little later. Casper's a little busy with Nadia at the moment. And I don't mean a checkup." Amy and I walked out of the hospital. I was telling her about what I'd heard and, what I saw.

 "That is such a cute nickname for him!" Amy smiled brightly.

 "I know. Growing up, we really didn't have any nicknames. Just the usual stuff mom and dad called us. And of course 'brother', for each other." I replied. "You know, when I was a kid, I never saw myself being married with a child before my brother found his mate. I always pictured him the one who got married first."

 "Well, life is a little different when it comes to what we plan and imagine. What matters now, is we get him back on his feet and help him all we can. And help Mary with her situation." I nodded in agreement.

 It is honestly amazing on how far we've come and how different life is from how I imagined it. Years ago, Casper and I would sometimes plan out our lives with our mates. Just for fun. We wanted to take our mates all around the world to see all the sights. The Great Wall of China, the Grand Canyon, the Eiffel Tower, and so forth. Yea, Amy and I never got to see any of that. We stayed right here in the pack. Besides, after we got married and adopted Altan soon after, we didn't have much time to go traveling. Especially with me being the Gamma of the pack. I doubt Casper and Nadia will be doing stuff like that, but hey! It's nice to dream.