Chapter 15

Cayden's POV:

 The next day, I sat in my office working. Well, sorta. I had gone back into some old files. My family's files. I sighed as I looked at a picture of my mother, father, and, my brother, Casper. I never understood why Casper changed and did all those things to me. We were so close...Mother died when I was eleven, almost twelve. Casper was fourteen. Father died when I was fourteen and Casper was sixteen. We were so close...I never did understand why Alex's dad and my dad chose me to be the Gamma. 

*Flashback* Third Person POV:

 "Dad, please...we need you..." Cayden pleaded, his voice cracking, tears rolling down his cheeks. Casper stood beside him, his hands on his brother's shoulders. 

 "I'm sorry, my boy...But my time has come....I love you both so very much. Now, I'm going to see your mother..." Casper had tears forming in his eyes as he watched his father cough hard and wheeze weakly. 

 "Casper, Cayden, I want you to promise me..." their father stopped, panting heavily. 

 "Anything, dad." Casper declared. 

 "As you both know, Alpha Kane, Beta Richard, and I decided you both should have an equal chance to be Gamma. Alpha Kane will choose after I'm gone." 

 "What does this have to do with anything, father...?" Cayden asked, his voice cracking. 

 "Promise me, my sons, that you will stay together no matter what. Love each other and look out for each other....Siblings are like best friends.....They have a special bond that can never be broken...." 

 "I promise, father..." Casper spoke softly.

 "I promise, dad..." Their father smiled weakly as he looked at his boys one last time. 

 "I love you, Casper, Cayden..." With that, the Gamma closed his eyes for the last time. 

 "D-dad?!" Cayden exclaimed. 

 "H-he's gone..." Casper whispered. The brothers cried and hugged each other tight. "Say hi to mom for us...Tell her we love her...We love you, dad..." Casper said softly. Cayden nodded in agreement.

 You've gotten a glimpse into the past of Gamma Cayden and his older brother, Casper. After the funeral of their father, Alpha Kane, Alex's father, chose Cayden as the Gamma. This angered Casper. Over time, the brothers grew further and further apart. Casper forgot his promise to his father. All he could think about, what that Cayden was Gamma instead of him. Years after he was banished, Casper returned but watched from a distance in the woods. He watched the battle with Genova and Ruby's pack. He watched his brother be struck down. He saw Amy clinging to him and crying hard. His eyes went wide. He suddenly remembered his promise...How he held Cayden...He blamed himself all those years. He stayed and watched over his brother, Amy, and his nephew secretly. Most of the rogues that tried to attack the pack, were fought off and some killed, by Casper. He was defending his brother in the only way he could. 

 Now, Casper lay in that hospital bed, very sick. Past regrets lay heavily on his mind. He loved his brother, Cayden's family, friends, and, the rest of the pack. But, he felt like a failure. He broke a promise and never forgave himself. Worst of all, he hurt his brother and put him down, bullying him. He never forgave himself for that either. He just wanted to die. Alone. Like he had been for many years. He wanted to be alone because he was used to it, but mainly, because he felt he didn't deserve company from anyone. He heard everything that was said from his coma. He could put faces to the people who spoke but never saw them. He was alone in a big, dark room. That's what it was like for him. He was afraid. But, he felt he deserved it. If only Casper would forgive himself, he might have a chance.....

Cayden's POV:

 I stood up and went for a walk. I remembered the promise I made to my dad well. No matter what, I'd always be there for my brother. I love him....I'm stupid! 

 "Yep. But at least you're keeping a promise." my wolf remarked. 

 I sighed. "But Mary said he changed...Should I trust him...? Should I give him the chance?...If I do, I could be hurt again!" 

 "I know...Just remember what Amy said...And, our father..." 

 "Dad would want me to forgive Casper and be with him right now...." My wolf nodded sadly. I decided to go to the hospital and see him. 

 "Oh, hello, Gamma Cayden. I was just about to give you a call." the pack doctor told me. My heart skipped a beat. Did it have anything to do with Casper?? Was he ok?? 

 "What about..?" I asked, trying to tone down my excitement and nervousness. 

 "Well, Gamma....I'm afraid it's about your brother." 

 "Is he alright?? Did he wake up??" I asked quickly and anxiously. 

 "I'm afraid not, Gamma Cayden...He's getting worse, I'm afraid. He may not last the night.." the doctor's words hit me like a steam engine. I sat down in shock, my eyes wide. 

 My brother...? Dying...? Of course I always knew this was possible but...I just can't believe it...All those years, when he was in exile, I always kinda felt.....he was still nearby, watching over me...I felt like I still had my brother in a way...I just can't imagine my life without my big brother...

 "Gamma Cayden? Are you alright?" I nodded slowly. "Would you like to see him?" Again, I nodded slowly. 

 I walked slowly to his room and went in. Part of me wished Amy was here with me. My wolf wanted Amy to be with us so bad, he howled in sadness. I opened my mouth to say something, but nothing came out except sobbing. I cried. 

 "Casper, I-I miss you so much...I love you...Please, brother, come back to me...Please fight....I beg you.." I pleaded. I put my head in my hands. I remember whenever I was upset when I was little, Casper always held me, comforting me. I gave a sad smile and looked at my brother, tears stinging my eyes. "I remember when we were little...All the fun we had...How you held me and comforted me when I was upset...You were always there...Even after you left, after the war, I felt like....you were still there....Like I still had my brother...It was a great feeling..." I took a deep breath and wiped my eyes, becoming serious. 

 "Casper, I don't know for sure why you aren't fighting for your life. But I have an idea. You feel bad, don't you? You can't forgive yourself for breaking dad's promise. For hurting me. How do I know? Simple. You're my brother. We've always been close. For several years, after you left, I didn't feel like you were there. Like you cared. Then, after the war, I got that feeling. I could feel my brother's presence. I was happy. Casper, I know you still have it in you to fight. You've always been strong! Why, when we were kids, you always said the only way you were gonna die was by fighting rogues...Protecting me...I still believe that, big brother. You've always been my hero. My role model. I always wanted to be just like you. When you hurt me, and broke dad's promise, that wasn't you. That wasn't the brother I knew and loved. It was a stranger. I love you, Casper. And I forgive you. You're my brother and you always will be. I only ask, brother, that you give yourself a chance, like I'm doing now. I'm giving you a chance to make things right. Can't you do the same?"

 Third Person POV:

 Casper sat in the darkness, his eyes wide as he listened to his brother. He'd never heard his brother so serious before. He meant it......He meant all those words....Casper sighed and decided to fight. 

 "I'll still have to leave, but that's ok. I'll have seen my brother one last time." he thought. "And I'll die protecting him like I promised years ago." 

 Amy had felt through her bond with Cayden that he needed her. She quickly told Altan they were going to the hospital and the two hurried off. When they got there, the mother and son saw him sitting alone at his brother's beside. 

 "Let's give him a few minutes, sunshine..." Amy told her boy. He nodded and gave his mother's hand a gentle squeeze. Amy smiled at him sadly and the two hugged each other.