Chapter 17

Casper's POV:

 You all know me pretty well by now, I suppose. And I guess you're all pretty mad at me. I don't blame you. I don't know if you believe me or not, but I promise you, I'm not the same man I used to be. I changed. I regret everything I did. I've let my parents, my old friends, and most of all, my brother, down. I broke promises. I hurt the brother I swore to look after. I never swore to hurt him! I'm such an idiot...

 I slowly opened my eyes, only to be blinded by a blinding light. I quickly shut my eyes and groaned. 

 "Casper..?" I heard a voice say. I knew that voice...Oh help....

 "Doctor, I think he's waking up!" Oh crud. Not Alex! Most likely if he's here, they all are. I'm doomed. 

 "Casper?" I opened my eyes and looked over at my visitors. I was right. 

 "C-Cay.." I tried to speak but I couldn't even finish his name. It just came out in a hoarse whisper. 

 "Let me see." the pack doctor walked up to me and examined me. Finally, he turned to Cayden and the others. "The worst is over. Whether it'll last, I can't say. All we can do is wait and see. He is very weak but I assure you, that is normal and understandable." 

 "Thank you, doctor." Alex replied. The doctor nodded and left the room. I looked at them nervously before looking away, not wanting to face them. I can't! Can you blame me? 

 "Casper...It's good to see you again..." Zack said. I looked back at him and stared at him. I swear he's lying. "I'm not lying if that's what you think." he told me. 

 "It is good to see you. I just hope you meant what you said." Alex remarked. Alex, don't lie. 

 Why do I think they're lying? Well, if would you miss me if you were in their shoes? I wouldn't. I shook my head and looked away. 

 "He needs rest. He'll feel better tomorrow...It's fine." Kelly said softly. 

 "She's right. Give him time to get his strength back." Lia replied. 

 "We'll leave you guys alone. We'll talk later, Casper. We need to talk. With my daughter and son-in-law." I groaned. I knew it. Alex was mad. 

 "Alex, don't be so hard on him." Kelly scolded. "He said he was sorry and I believe him. Give him a chance, Alex.." Alex sighed. 

 "Alright, Kels...I'll give him a chance. But I still want to talk to him." 

 "Come on, let's go. We'll come visit tomorrow maybe." Zack told me. Oh I'm so looking forward to it. Just leave me alone, please....

 I watched as Zack, Alex, and their mates left the room. Only Amy and Cayden was left. I sighed heavily and finally decided to ask a question I'd been wanting to ask. I gathered all my strength and spoke. 

 "W-why?" 

 "Why what?" Cayden asked as he sat on my bedside. 

 "W-why f-forgive me? W-why miss m-me? W-why l-love me? Why?!" I panted heavily, trying to get my breath. 

 "Here, Casper. Here's a little water." Amy helped me drink some water from a paper cup. That was good...

 "Casper, you're my brother. I promised dad. Sure I was angry for a while, but I could never hate you. I love you because you are my brother. I missed you because you're my brother. We were so close! Remember all the trouble we used to get into as kids? Oh that was fun.." Cayden laughed. I smiled. I remembered well. "It's all because you're my brother and I love you." 

 "A-at least one of us k-kept h-his promise...I-instead I w-was a horrible brother and son. I b-broke my promise. I hurt my brother. Why....? Just...why?" 

 "Casper, that's all in the past. It's over with...You need to let go of it..." Amy said softly. 

 "E-easy for you to say. You never broke a promise to your dying father or hurt your only brother who you were so close with." 

 "No, but I have had a hard past. When I was twelve, I lost my parents in a rogue attack. I lost everyone and everything. I ran all the way here. I had bumped my head while running and lost my memory. I dealt with Cayden being hurt and bullied by others. I somehow survived Cayden being on his death bed in this very hospital. I was kidnapped on our wedding night. And the baby of the kidnappers was born deaf and premature. We decided to adopt him, much to the pack's dismay. They put him down and hurt him with their words day after day. And now he's scared to be Gamma. Casper, I know what it's like to have a hard life." Amy declared. Wow I missed a lot. Poor girl...

 "I am telling the truth, brother...At least think about my words..." Cayden said, standing up. "We'd better let you rest. You look tired. We'll see you later." He looked hurt. I watched as they left the room. I sighed. Was he telling the truth? 

 I had almost fallen asleep when I heard voices in my room. 

 "Is he sleeping, Shane?" a little girl's voice spoke. 

 "I think so. We'd better be quiet if you wanna stay. Why did you want to come here?" 

 "I didn't want him to be alone." I know those voices....

 I opened my eyes slowly and looked over at the voices. The boy looked to be around 16 while the little girl, who I'm assuming is his sister, looked around 4. 

 "Oh, sir!" the boy said suddenly, realizing I was awake. "We didn't mean to wake you. We're sorry." I shook my head, telling them it was alright. "I'm Shane and this is Addie. She's really been wanting to come back and visit for a couple days so I finally took her. Is it ok, sir?" 

 "Y-yes, son." I spoke weakly. 

 "You sound as nice as you look!" the little girl, Addie smiled as she cam over and climbed on my bed. 

 "I heard you that day...When you first came to visit. You're ladybug, right?" I asked. 

 "Yea! How'd you hear me? You were sleeping." 

 "It was...a different kind of sleep. You can hear people in it." I answered weakly.

 "Oh." she nodded. "So what happened to you? You look rough." 

 "Addie!" Shane scolded. 

 "What? Mommy said to always tell the truth. And daddy says it's good to ask questions. 

 I smiled. "It's ok. I'll explain it to you later, ok ladybug?" 

 "Ok, Mr. Casper!" 

 "Addie, Mr. Casper looks really tired. We better let him rest." Shane said softly. 

 "Ok.." Addie frowned before leaning down and hugging me. My eyes were wide. "Goodnight!" Addie said as she got off the bed and went back to Shane. 

 "It was nice meeting you, sir." Shane smiled at me in a friendly way before leaving. 

 They were so...nice...To me. Me! Addie....She's just precious...So sweet, kind, and adorable. 

 I sighed. This is what I missed out on because of my stupidity. A loving family, friends, a caring mate, and beautiful children.