Little Star

We made our way on the top of the castle walls, balancing with absolute precision. One foot in front of the other. Something about it made me smile. It cropped up onto my face under this hood. I felt my self start to speed up. The vines slightly crunched under me.

I felt like an acrobat. Or a bird. Skipping across the top of the castle walls. I spun around Dream and overtook him. His head lifted. He frowned.
"Y/N!"
He whispered harshly. I ignored him. It felt like dancing with death. On the edge, literally. I stepped but I stepped skew and felt my foot starting to fall.

Oh no no no no!
My body twisted over the edge.
I'm going to fall-
A hand grabbed my upper arm. My chest heaving and eyes wide. I hovered there, my feet just on the top of the wall while the rest of my body perpendicular to it. I lifted my eyes up to his green ones. First they were filled with worry but soon they were green with rage.

A second later I was back up, clinging to his chest.
"Are you crazy? What is wrong with you! You're going to get us caught!"
He moved me in front of him.
"Gods could you grow up and focus for once?"
He spat. My heart dropped.
He...was right...I was being...a child.

Giggling in the poppy field made us stop. Two figures were seen amongst the red petals. We dropped to our stomachs. Slowly the two figures came into view.

"Hey! Hey! Okay give me that."
One voice sounded out. It made me shudder. It was a bit higher than the present but the same honey like tone. Even now I watched Dream as he tensed next to me.
"Fine. Only if you play that song I love though."

This other voice I knew so well. I heard it every day. Hair put up in two buns, the shorter pieces hang in front framing her face. E/C eyes and a smile from better times.
Me...five years ago. Dream too.
"Alright."
I watched as fifteen year old Dream strung his guitar.
I forgot he used to play.

*play above song*
I watched my younger self sway with my legs crossed on the grass.
"Little star... feels like you fell right on my head..."
Singing along with him. I unconsciously played with the necklace I wore, I made it for him out of a guitar pick when we were younger. I've never taken it off.

"I hope it was worth it in the end."
I saw something different too. Dream...the younger one...never took his eyes off the younger me.

I mouthed the words. Even over time I hadn't forgotten them. It had been my favourite song and hearing it again made all those emotions come back.
I smiled. I glanced to Dream beside me, his eyes already trained on me.
Where did we go so wrong?

"CLAY CARO!"
Her voice boomed across the castle gardens. My stomach churned and I gulped. The two figures jumped up.
"I have to go."
"Awww already?"

He intertwined his hand with hers.
"I promise we can go and steal some cookies after dinner."
She beamed.
"Deal."
He ran in,and she ran towards the gates and back to the town.

"Come on Y/N."
He said after they had silently tore apart. He started jumping down from the wall. I climbed down. He put his arms out to help me but I moved so he couldn't.
"I'm fine. I'm not a child."
I hissed.
I pulled my gloves on properly and attached my face mask so my nose and mouth was covered.

"Let's go stop your mother's assassination."