3

She opened her mouth and tried to speak, but no words left her mouth. She had lied about the answers she gave him, so that should he be serious about causing her trouble, he would not be able to find her.

How could he know that she was lying? Perhaps her fear was too visible, giving her away. To remedy her situation, she summoned courage, and let her hands drop to her sides in an attempt to assume a more confident pose.

"I'm not lying." She said in a slightly more confident tone.

"Sit down." He said abruptly, startling her.

"I said sit down." He said forcefully.

Tentatively, she took the seat before him and folded her hands before her. Just then her phone started to ring.

She immediately reached into her bag.

"I didn't say you could answer." He told her and her eyes widened with rising panic.

"It's my friend. I'm supposed to meet her outside."

"You'll talk to her after we're finished."

"Please, she might be worried." Boma implored him.

His eyes narrowed at her for a few seconds while she prayed that he would let her.

"Fine." He said finally, the intimidating stare, disappearing. "You can talk to her. Keep your conversation brief and just tell her you will be out in about five minutes."

She resisted the urge to sigh with relief at his words.

"Thanks." She mumbled and proceeded with answering the call. She confirmed that it was Hilda. By the time she got the phone in her hands, it had stopped ringing.

Before she could return the call, the phone began to ring again, so she received it.

"Hey." She said, hoping she sounded lively.

"Where are you? I'm outside."

"Please give me five minutes."

"What are you doing? Should I come inside?"

"No need. I'm in the restroom."

"Oh. I see. Okay. I am waiting."

"See you."

After the call, she stuck the phone in her bag and returned her gaze to Donovan's. Since he didn't say a word, her eyes returned to his chest.

"Look at me." She heard him say again and reluctantly, she met his gaze.

"Let's go over your answers. For your good, do not make the mistake of lying to me again, okay?"

"I wasn't ly..." She began when he leaned across the table and slapped her across the cheek.

It wasn't hard but it stung and was enough to get her in line.

She stared at him, pained and awestruck.

"I said, do not lie to me again, am I understood?"

She nodded, her eyes getting humid.

"I can't hear you."

"Yes."

He relaxed back against his seat.

"What's your name?"

"Boma."

"Boma who?"

"Braide."

"Faculty?"

"Arts"

"Department"

"Literature."

As she said the words, a tear escaped from her tear-filled eyes and rolled down her cheek.