18

In class, Boma managed to concentrate as the lecturer analyzed the book -Little Snake and Little Frog.

Boma thought about the story. The little snake and little frog were friends until the snake's mom found out her child's friend was a frog.

She advised her child to eat it and not play with her food. Coincidentally, Frog's mum also found out her child's friend was a snake. She advised her child to stay away and not be an easy meal. Both friends adhered to the advice given to them. Playtime came and the snake called out to the frog but the frog won't venture close. The snake tried to trick the frog into coming close, saying they were friends but the frog's response to the snake was, 'What your mother told you, my mother also told me.'

Boma found the frog's response perfect. She wished that in her situation, a piece of simple advice from her parents would save her. Maybe it would, but she didn't want to bother them and make them worry.

Boma tried to ignore the threatening looks that the bullies- Queen, Tracy, and Bella gave her whenever she stole some courage and spared them a glance.

She was afraid but tried not to show it.

An SMS vibrated her phone and when she checked, she saw a message from an unknown number. It read- Leave before the lecture ends. Those girls have evil plans for you. Someone has been stationed outside to pour acid on your face. Leave and don't follow the normal road back to your hostel. Follow the shortcut bush path as it's not your normal route.

Her heart skipped a beat and began to slam against her chest as her fear skyrocketed.

"I want your reviews on the Little snake and Little frog submitted in three days." She heard her lecturer say before she rose.

"Excuse me, Sir." She said to the lecturer before leaving.

The lecturer ignored her and kept talking as she left, but she knew that her words had been acknowledged.

That was the way at Wilberforce Island University. You do not just get up and leave the class. You do not have to offer explanations either. All you need to say was "Excuse me." and you can just leave whether the lecturer permits you or not.

They usually won't care that you're leaving their class. They may not even respond to your Courtesy. But they expect you to say it. If you don't, the question you will get is- so you're too big to say 'excuse me?' and then you are marked as proud. Hopefully, you won't be needing extra marks or they sure won't help you.

Once Boma was out of the door, she followed the hallway that led to the back of the building where the bush path shortcut was.

The weather outside was bright and fair. It reminded her of her favorite nursery song - The Day is bright, it's bright and fair, oh happy day, the day of joy, the day is bright, it's bright and fair, oh happy day of joy.

Unfortunately, she was not feeling happy. Her Herat was in her mouth right now and she needed to get to her hostel first before thinking of any other thing.

She saw no one on the path as she walked the path which was bordered on each side by overgrown bushes. This path of the campus was yet to be developed and was barely used by students.

She hurried down the path and paused as a couple of rough-looking guys and a familiar-looking girl emerged from the back of a tree where they had been hiding and stepped onto the path, blocking her way.

One of them held a container sealed with a cap.

"Is this what you're running away from?" He taunted, shaking the container at her. She noticed that he was wearing thick hand gloves.