23

Phillip immediately recognized him. Both guys stared at each other for a few seconds. Then Phillip looked her way and she took the phone away from her ear.

He looked back at Fidelis who maintained the phone at his ear and walked away towards his car.

Phillip immediately turned and headed back to the car, slipping into the driver's seat.

"What is it?" She asked.

"I have to tell Donovan I just saw his cousin."

She panicked.

"You don't have to, please."

"Why were you lying? Wasn't he the person you came to see?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Donovan's cousin. Stop playing."

"Please, don't tell him anything. He just wanted to say goodbye. Please? I don't want any trouble."

"In our fraternity, we take oaths. Oaths of solidarity and faithfulness. I would hate to be tested like this again, I tell you."

"Please I'm sorry. Please help me just this once."

He stayed silent for a while.

"Please." She pleaded.

"It's okay."

"Thank you."

"And please, mind the way you communicate with him. Donovan might inspect your phone at any time. I'm just giving you a heads-up."

"Thank you." She said as he started the car.

"You might want to clear recent conversations with him." He advised as he drove away from the library.

"Okay." She said and began doing as he had suggested.

Then she sat back and waited out the drive along the campus roads. Looking at students going about their business, she wondered if anyone was in her shoes right now. It was not funny at all but she was feeling more hopeful about Fidelis's offer.

Upon reaching the restaurant, Phillip took her over to Donovan's table where he was reading something on his phone.

Phillip joined his other guys at another table where they were drinking and sharing barbecued fish.

Donovan pulled out a chair as she approached. He had taken his suit off and draped it over his chair. His white shirt was intact with the tie, slightly loosened. With a couple of loose buttons starting at the top of the shirt, he was the picture of a handsome and rugged-looking gentleman.

She sat down beside him and he took her hand and then kissed the ring on it.

"What took you guys so long?"

She looked towards Phillip's table as though depending on him for the answer.

"Ignore him." Donovan told her, which riveted her gaze back to his "He already told me but I want to hear it from your pretty lips."

"The traffic."

"Where did it occur?"

"I wasn't paying attention."

"Okay. Anyway, I'm glad you're here. I'm starving and didn't want to eat without you. What will you have?"

"Anything."

"Anything is nothing. Pick a meal."

She looked at the menu and pointed at her choice for him.

"I'll have what you're having." He said and signaled the waiter who drew forward and took their orders.

As soon as he left Donovan began looking at her with slightly narrowed eyes. It sent her heartbeat racing with uncertainty. She lowered her gaze.

He liked the way her lashes rested on her cheeks. But he couldn't take the time to appreciate the beauty of it. A thought was upsetting him.

"Boma."

She met his gaze.

"Is there something you would like to tell me?"

"No."

"Are you sure?"

"I - I don't think there is anything."

"Where exactly did Phillip pick you from?"

She looked in Phillip's direction again but he turned her face gently towards him. "Look at me and speak. Don't look over there again. He is not your mouthpiece."

"He- he picked me halfway."

"What did I tell you?"

She was silent, fear clutching at her heart.

"I told you to wait for Philip but the security said you strolled out to meet him halfway when I called. Why did you do that?"

"That was because I- I didn't want to waste time."

"Is that what I told you to do?"

"I'm sorry. I won't do it again."

"If you want to enjoy me, you need to learn to listen and act accordingly, alright? Do not make yourself easy prey for my enemies."

She nodded.

"Meanwhile, hope you've gotten your head off the matter with my cousin?"

She nodded.

"Good. Do you still have his contact?"

Boma wanted to lie because she knew he didn't favor his cousin, especially where she was concerned.

She decided on the truth after what Phillip had told her in the car about him checking her phone because if he happened to do that and discover her lie, she knew she would be in trouble. She had already gotten off easy on one. She didn't see him indulging her for longer on subsequent lapses.

"Yes, I still do." She answered.

"Give me your phone." He said quietly, holding out his palm.

She gave it to him and he started going through her contacts. He selected Fidelis's number and gave her the phone.

"Delete it." He said in a quiet voice heavy with command.

She looked at him with protesting eyes but could not speak.

"Did I just say something?" His tone had carried a rough edge.

She quickly deleted the number and fought to keep her eyes from watering.

"Good girl." He praised, caressing her cheek gently as he arrested her gaze with his.

"Boma."

"Yes." She could barely find her voice.

"I want this to be the last time I find his contact on your phone. Are we clear?"

She nodded and he pressed his lips to the top of her head. "Don't worry. You won't regret being mine." He assured her. "And you will come to fall in love with me. I promise."