28

A few minutes passed and Boma's neighborhood came into view.

It was a decent layout of low-cost houses kept together by a fence and a broken-down gate that was being repaired.

Boma pointed at the estate. "My house is among those," she told Donovan.

"Cool. I figured. Is it the B apartments or the A? "

" The A "

"That means one of your parents is a civil servant? "

" Yeah. My dad. "

" He's a Senior civil servant? "

" Yes. "

" That's fine. I figured that out since I know that the A part is for senior civil servants while the B part is for juniors. What does your mum do? "

" She's a tailor. "

" I see they work hard to foot the bill. "

" Yes. "

" All the more reason why you can't afford to joke with your studies, don't you agree? "

" I agree. " On this, Boma knew he was right.

"There are many opportunities for students who are four pointers, did you know that?"

"No."

"No? Didn't you attend school orientation?"

" I missed it. "

" Many students do. They think it's not important."

" I didn't think it was not important. I had to work to save some money. "

" I see. Well now that you have me, all that is in the past. Alright? "

" Okay. Thank you. " Boma had to be polite. But her thoughts were on Fidelis's promise. She was now prepared to take it.

" You're welcome. "

The sun was shining as they passed the estate. She knew her mum was probably home and maybe sewing her heart out for clients. Her dad was probably at work. He would be home by 4:00 pm.

She wished she could pop in and see them. They would be shocked to know she was in town and staying somewhere else.

Donovan saw the longing in her eyes as she watched the estate roll by. He knew her heart was there but he could not let her go there. This weekend was for him. It was for them.

"What if my parents run into me or someone I know runs into me and my parents find out I'm in town and didn't come to see them?" she asked.

"We'll cross that bridge if we come across it. For now, don't even think about it. You're safe with me."

Minutes after they passed the low-cost houses, a new neighborhood came into view. Luxurious apartments lined the residential quarters.

Boma had often passed by the area on her bicycle and wished she could get a glimpse of the inside when she was a child.

She recalled an incident that happened when she was around ten years of age in the neighborhood once.

She had seen a boy with curly hair who was a bit older than her.

He had been standing outside the gate toying with a football as she rode by. He had tossed his ball at her, causing her to lose her balance.

Luckily she had been in control and was able to avoid an accident.

The boy had put his tongue out at her, mocking her and she had just driven away with a dislike for rich people.

She had never come across the boy again and hoped she never did.