4

Boma sat across from Hilda as they had lunch in the cafeteria the next day.

As Hilda ate, Boma picked at her food. Occasionally, she would stare at the ring on her finger. It reminded her of Donovan. She didn't like it. But she was scared of removing it, because of his warning.

"Try and stop worrying," Hilda advised. "Eat your food."

"I just can't."

"I warned you not to go there. Now you've ended up getting noticed by a fraternity guy. And the worst of it is that you got a point one? Do you know how serious this is?"

"Would you stop giving me the 'I told you so' lecture? If you want me to apologize a thousand times, I would."

"Look, I'm sorry. I just want you to be fine."

"Scolding me and telling me not to worry at the same time, without offering a solution is not so good for me."

"I'm not talking this way because there is no solution."

Boma's eyes lighted up with hope at her friend's words.

"Do you have a solution?"

"Relax. As a year two student, I know some things. My course mate is a cultist. I have consulted him and the solution is simple."

Boma listened earnestly. She wanted to be free of the problem as soon as possible.

"Well?" She prompted.

"He said we need to pay homage. He said sometimes, Point ones can pick a girl. If she doesn't want the relationship, she can pay homage to the point one and he would let her go?"

"How do I pay homage to him?"

"They don't like being denied, so in matters like this, if you already have a boyfriend, he would be the one to pay homage but since you're single, you will have to do it yourself."

"How is the homage paid?"

"You will give him an offering. It has to be some gift like a bottle of wine, something good. Maybe a wristwatch but it has to be of some value. Not too cheap."

"But you know I don't have money. My parents are struggling after a bad investment."

"I know. We are in the same boat but I will support you. After now we'll get wine and a wristwatch so we can send it through a presenter."

"A presenter?"

"It has to be presented by someone from another fraternity. They consider outsiders doing this, an insult. It will spark trouble."

"Gosh, this is serious."

"I know, but it will pass, don't worry."

"Thank you so much. But is this a guarantee that he will let me go?"

"Sure."

"Okay. Now I can eat."

"Good." Hilda encouraged.

After their meal, they left campus and entered the city. They shopped for wine and a wristwatch which cost them half of their allowances. Then they packaged it properly in their room. After they put everything in a fancy bag, Hilda hugged her comfortingly. "Don't worry, everything will be alright." She said.

Later, Hilda's course mate arrived and took the bag. Hilda introduced him as Harold. She also said she just started dating Harold. The two girls joined him in his car. He was a friendly-faced guy. As he drove off the campus, he was somewhat withdrawn.

"Did she tell you that this is not a guaranty?" Harold asked Boma. His question renewed her anxiety as she stared at him, perplexed.

"Harold you can't kill her hope like that." Hilda gently chided Harold.