27

Donovan watched Boma's body press further against her side of the car as she wished she could just disappear, her expression, rueful, scared. She kept her eyes on her lap.

"I said come here, don't make me repeat myself."

She managed to look at him, nervously observing his quiet but stormy demeanor.

" Please, I studied," she said pleadingly. "I read my book and... "

"Shut your mouth." he interrupted, silencing her. Then he patted the spot beside him. "Over here, now."

"Boss man, I'm sorry to interfere but can we move away from here first?" Phillip asked cautiously.

"Phillip, please, I beg you in the name of God. You don't want to piss me off this morning."

"Sorry, Boss. " Phillip raised his hands in surrender. He had just wanted to help the girl out by postponing or delaying her ordeal.

"And you," Donovan addressed Boma, "Will you get the hell over here?"

His exchange with Phillip seemed to have escalated his anger as his attractive light green eyes narrowed at her.

Reluctantly, she moved her shaky body a couple of inches toward him. Then she paused in renewed fear, her eyes, wetting up and her mouth hastily churning out words of explanation.

"Please I studied. Please I..."

Impatiently, he roughly snaked his arm around her and drew her close to his side.

"Please, I tried my... " her speech was cut off by a cry as he slapped her across the cheek.

Boma's palm flew to her hurt cheek and she started to cry.

"Good. You can cry and remember this when next you have any sort of continuous assessment coming your way."

He held her close and gave commands to Phillip.

" Please get us out of this premises."

As Phillip moved the car through the campus streets, Donovan put her marked script before her teary face. "You're getting off easy because we need to enjoy the weekend," he informed her. "But let this be the last time I see this nonsense again. Am I clear?"

In her pain, she sniffled and nodded. He released her and she shifted away from him, returning to the end of the seat. The only sound in the vehicle was her crying.

"Boma, I didn't beat you, did I?" he asked.

She shook her head but kept sniffling.

"If I hear your voice again, I will give you something to really cry about."

She stifled her voice by gently biting on her lower lip, and managed to silence her cries.

"Good girl." he praised and patted the spot beside him again. " Come over here, will you? "

She gave him a wary look as she hesitantly moved closer to him. She knew he was not making a request.

His arm went around her and pulled her closer to his side.

Her body was tense against him as he put her head against his chest and smoothened her hair.

She sniffled again, overwhelmed by her situation.

"Shhh. Stop crying," he said. "Just do well next time. That's all. Okay?"

"Okay." She managed to faintly respond.

"Later, you can tell me the courses you're struggling with. If need be, I will get you a lesson teacher. We have them scattered around the island. alright?"