26

Boma briefly considered telling Donovan the truth but she was sorely afraid of what he would do to her.

Her words came out in a rush as from a distance, she spotted the building that housed her lecture room.

"I was outside with...with Hilda and we were we went for dinner and... and.. "

She paused, lost for words as his eyes left the road and glanced at her.

" Are you lying to me? "

"No." she denied, shaking her head as he returned his gaze to the road.

"I'm not lying," she said.

The fear already gripping her slightly tremulous body was heightening with every passing second. Her lips were starting to waver. She was not used to lying but the fear of him was forcing her to try and learn.

"I'm not lying," she repeated.

"Then stop stuttering and speak clearly."

Boma managed to comport herself. The car was fast approaching her stop.

"I was... we were out to dinner and the phone was with me. It was in my pocket. I don't know how it happened. Maybe it fell out of the shuttle we entered. I don't know but when we got back in our room, I discovered it was gone."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"That's very unfortunate"

Boma didn't know how to respond to his comment. She was not sure that he believed her. She was glad she had at least explained before they were reaching the building.

Donovan nosed the car before the building and killed the engine.

She immediately reached for the door handle.

"Who asked you to leave?"

She paused and sat back, observing his stoic expression nervously. "Sorry I thought..."

"We have a few minutes to spare."

She settled back against the seat and tried to look comfortable.

"Now, look at me and repeat your story," he said, pinning her with a searching gaze.

She faced him, mesmerized by his sexy eyes. It felt like he was searching her soul as he observed her calmly.

It felt harder repeating her lie because she was facing him now. Still, she had to try and she could not stop her eyes from wetting up.

"I... Hilda and I went to read... I mean dinner and the phone was in my pocket and we entered a shuttle and it must have fallen off in the shuttle. I really can't say how it... how it got lost. "

He studied her silently for a few seconds, observing her fear, her nervousness, her fear so paramount she was almost on the verge of tears. He saw the tiny tremors rocking her lithe body.

All it told him was that she was spewing lies. She should be very afraid of trying to play him for a fool.

Donovan let his finger tap on the steering wheel as he controlled himself. She had a test coming up, otherwise, he would have backhanded her long before she completed her lies. But he didn't want her crying. Not when her test was at hand.

He considered his true feelings for her. Of course, he liked her. He liked her a lot. To be honest with himself, it was love at first sight for him. But he would not tolerate any nonsense. That was not his style. His belief was spare the rod and spoil your girl.

"I'll get you a new phone," he promised.

" Thank you. " Boma could barely breathe a sigh of relief. Tension still overwhelmed her body.