24

Days passed, and along with them, Boma's routine as Donovan's girl for the time being.

She spent the next three days in the hostel with Donovan picking and dropping her off at times.

She attended classes regularly and had no trouble with the bullies in her class.

She sat on her hostel bed on a lecture-free day, reading a novel but she was distracted by memories of her immediate past.

She recalled her encounter with the three girls.

Upon accosting her in the restroom one afternoon where they prepared to cut her hair, one of them accidentally saw her ring and called her friends' attention to it. Shocked, they backed off and she could not remember them bothering her again.

But they often stared at her in class as they whispered among themselves. Sometimes it felt like they were planning something. But since they didn't bother her, she told herself it was just paranoia.

She had found peace and wished she could get her peace without Donovan being the reason why they were avoiding her.

She also ran into Rose in the lecture theater but the girl ignored her.

She was now embracing her peace. At least she was free from bullying. But that freedom came with a price - she had to be Donovan's girlfriend.

Her phone buzzed and upon checking, she saw Donovan's name flashing across the screen. Talk of the devil, she thought as she hastily received the call.

"Hello."

"What are you doing?"

"Reading."

"What are you reading?"

"A novel. "

"Really?"

"Yes. Why?"

"Don't you have a test tomorrow? "

" I do. "

" So why are you reading a novel? Are you done studying? "

" I will do that later. "

" Boma. "

" Yes. "

"Drop the novel. Pick up your test subject and start studying. "

"I understand the subject very well, so I don't need... "

"Fail your test Boma," he said ominously. " Just fail it and see what I will do to you."

Boma froze, her heart skipping a beat as she listened to him continue. "Get a mark below fifty and see exactly what I will do to you."

Her fingers tightened around the phone in fear.

" I won't... I won't fail," she promised, fear almost causing her eyes to water.

"Good. Because overconfidence can be the mother of failure. In this school, you don't take any course for granted. It can do or undo you. Be careful. understand?"

She nodded, realized she was on the phone, and vocalized her response. "Yes."

"Okay. And now that we have that out of the way, be informed that we are leaving for the weekend."

"What?"

"I want you to be with me this weekend."

"But I don't want to go anywhere for..."

"Boma." he interrupted.

"Yes. "

" Just get your things ready. I will pick you up for your test. I also have one at the same time. Once we are done, we are leaving the island to unwind from studies back in town. okay? "