Issue #15

As Penny finally made her way home, she sighed and slumped over into her bed while she webbed her bedroom door shut. She curled up and laid in the middle of her bed, sighing as she aggressively rubbed her head.

With how irritated she was, she didn't even care that she was in her hero suit. All she did was take off her mask and toss it aside to let herself breath. Penny hadn't seen Felicia for such a long time. Who hired her? Why did she take the job?

'I thought she was set straight the last time we met...' Penny thought to herself, rolling over in her bed as she sent a message to Mr. Stark about what had happened, though she made sure to leave the Black Cat sighting out of the report. She scrolled up to see her previous mission reports, knowing that she was always either ignored or taken lightly with each of her requests for back up. Especially against villains like Rhino or when Dr. Conners went loose...

Sighing quietly, Penny decided to send (YN) a message. A question.

'I know this may seem sudden, but is your dad okay?' She sent, deciding to take off her suit and hide it. At this point, she knew she had to wash it or something. Maybe even check on the stitching of the suit itself. Deciding to hold off on that until she came back from a shower, Penny took her phone with her and went to the bathroom.

Setting her phone a safe distance from the shower, she turned on a music playlist and locked the bathroom door and turned on the water. Penny crouched down to her knees and continued to mess with the temperature until it was right. After taking off her school wear, she hopped in and began to wash off...

Until her phone went off.

The notification made Penny tense up a bit and use her hand to hold herself so she didn't slip. Peeking out from the curtain, she saw that (YN) had apparently texted her back...

Stepping out of the shower, Penny brushed her hair back and checked what he said.

'Going to see him later this week. You should come along.' (YN) replied. Penny replied with a thumbs up, putting her phone back as she returned to finish her shower. Once she did, she made sure to do her laundry without Aunt May noticing her hero suit. After she finished her dinner and laundry, she ended the day by passing out on her bed...

...
...
...

After a very typical school day, Penny and (YN) met up with each other and were soon picked up by his family. Martha Conners took the drivers seat while (YN) sat in the passenger seat. (YN) and Billy both sat in the back while Penny and his mother sat in the front seats.

Much to no one's surprise, Penny was a nervous wreck. She kept her hands balled inside her jacket while she tried to keep her composure. She felt a hurricane of emotions as they made their way to the hospital.

What the Conners family didn't know was that this specific hospital was part of the Department of Damage Control. A group that specialized in handling messes caused by the battles of super heroes and villains. But did this bring Penny bring relief? She wasn't sure...

Dr. Curt Conners was NOT a villain. Not like Kraven the Hunter or Rhino. He was a victim of an experiment gone wrong... And granted that could be said about several different types of villains, but Dr. Conners wasn't in his own head. The most she could do is try to find a higher up or contact Happy or Mr. Stark to see what is going on...

As the family walked into the hospital, Mrs. Conners made her way to the front desk. Penny and (YN) stayed behind to watch over Billy, who was playing on (YN)'s Gameboy Advanced while they waited.

"You seriously have one of those? That's pretty cool! I only found those whenever I would go.. Looking for them." Penny said, preferring to keep the idea that she dumpster dives out of the discussion.

"That's oddly cryptic... Yeah. When I was younger I used to play games on it all the time. Ever since I got a set up and could use emulators, I decided to give it to him." (YN) noted. Penny's eyes widened slightly at the mention of a 'set up'...

"Wait, Wait... Set up?"

"Yeah. He has a computer in his room! He let me play Minecraft on it" Billy confirmed, smiling as he claimed another 'bone for his throne of skulls'.

"Can I see it???" Penny requested, clasping her hands together as she leaned toward (YN) with a beaming expression. Such an action caught (YN) off guard, making him raise a brow as he placed a hand on her shoulder to set her back.

"Uhh... Sure. Do you like video games?"

"Yes! I've also only ever seen a few gaming PCs! I tried to make one on my own but could never find the parts" Penny added, eyes practically glistening with joy.

"You know how to make them?"

"Duh. I just could never find all of the parts when I go diving for them so I just have to use the laptop I got by saving up" Penny chuckled, though she froze as she realized what she had just said.

"When you go diving?"

"Diving into the web!" She hastily replied. As (YN) thought a bit deeper on what she said, they were allowed to make their way to see Dr. Conners.

Eventually the four made it to Dr. Conners' room. Walking in, they saw Dr. Curt Conners laying down on a hospital bed seeming to be unconscious. (YN) felt his skin crawl as he saw the numerous scales that clung along a deformed, damaged arm that had grown out from his father's shoulder. Along his whole body there were scales and human skin that seemed to be fighting against each other as though they were playing tug-of-war with Curt's mind and body...

"What happened? I thought the gene cleanser was supposed to clear out the reptilian DNA..." Martha muttered, slowly approaching her husband to place a hand upon the glass wall that was meant to separate the family from the patient.

Penny glanced over to (YN), who had a guilt stricken cloud over him as he forced himself to permanently imprint the image of his damaged father into a head.

His mistake... His efforts... His father... His fault.

She reached out and grabbed him by the shirt sleeve, understanding how he feels better than she can openly admit... It was almost a mirror of how she felt when she lost Uncle Ben...

"Hey, maybe we should get some fresh air... C'mon" Penny advised, tugging on his sleeve a bit. But (YN) didn't budge to much...

"I.. I can't..." (YN) dismissed, his eyes softening as his mother was asked to look upon the notes... Given her expertise on genetics, she'd be able to help make a more viable cure... a permanent one...

(YN) felt his stomach turn and a lump in his throat form, choking as he tried to swallow his guilt... He was once again forced to watch as his family took a heavy blow from a mistake he caused... A total crew up.

Feeling that he needed to get out, Penny tapped into a bit of her super human strength and carefully dragged (YN) out of the room after letting Martha know that (YN) to breathe.

Once Penny closed the door, (YN) tried to get back in. Though Penny got in the way, he was determined...

"(YN), just staring isn't going to help you get anywhere... Come on" She pleaded.

"I'm not staring because I want to, Penny. I have to..." I replied, clenching his fists as he sighed. "I never did tell you what happened... To my dad, I mean.."

Penny nodded softly and watched as (YN) sat down on a bench, gesturing for her to sit beside him. With Penny doing as requested, (YN) took a deep breath and prepared himself to open up about what happened...