Issue #26

The arc reactor.. At that very moment, it was a mere prototype. It was always meant to be a way to provide infinite and renewable energy to the city. My entire career has been dedicated to this ambition, this idea. If my statistics and theories were to be correct at that moment, I would have had the power of the sun in the palm of my hand...

I remember... Maxwell Dillon and I were in the lab that housed the reactor. I remember... a sudden eruption. It attacked Max while he was repairing the modified electric eel tank...

The screams... The loud banging, the roar of the reactor's system failing. The cacophony in my head rang loud enough to wake me up in a cold sweat.

I.. I was tied down... I was bound to a table and facing the ground with my bionic arms still attached to my person...

"What.. What.. happened? The reactor.. Maxwell. What.." I mumbled, struggling against my restraints. Several doctors seemed to be speaking, but I couldn't quite understand..

"What happened to me? Why am.. Why am I being restrained here?" I mumbled, straining myself to stand. Suddenly one of my bionic arms tensed up. It slowly slithered toward me and took the blindfold off of my face. The three other arms tore apart my restraints and helped me up to my knees.

I was in a hospital. I was surrounded by surgical instruments and the limp bodies of the several doctors that must have been trying to remove my bionic arms from my person...

What have I.. done...

Several guards had rushed into the room as the blaring of the alarms practically screamed for help. I struggled to stand, but the bionic arms slammed into the floor and lifted me up.

"I.. What happened? Where am I? What has happened to the reactor?!" I asked. The arms reacted, lashing out at each guard that stood in my way. They tried to fire their guns, but they were quickly disarmed and thrown across the room.

Part of me wanted to check on them, to apologize for what I had done. That it was an accident, but... the reactor.. I can't wait, I must continue my work!

It didn't take me very long to escape the hospital. It only took slightly longer to see what had become of Max... He was being detained in some sort of suit...

As much as I'd like to offer my sympathies, I can't stay here. Not when my experiment is still in development...

...
...
...

"Any idea why Mr. Harrington is saluting..?" Ned quietly whispered as he leaned toward me. I shrugged slightly. I mean... Mr. Harrington has been saluting ever since he started playing the Captain America video...

"Okay, uh... As I'm sure some of you may know, I don't typically teach PE. I am more of an academic instructor, rather than a physical do-er. So... I guess just run a few laps or something..." Mr. Harrington struggled. He typically taught more literature classes. I guess a substitute was needed and he was the only teacher around? That isn't how substituting works, but that's all I can really guess for why he was here...

"I guess you can all play something like.. dodge ball! Just remember not to go for the face." Mr. Harrington instructed. The idea of crushing our peers seemed to motivate the class to actually listen.

Except for MJ, who was still reading her bondage book... weird.

We obviously chose to have (YN), Ned, and MJ and my team. We grouped together when the class got cut in half.

Once the teams were all situated, Mr. Harrington declared for the game to begin.

Students from either side of the court desperately ran for the balls that were aligned at the center. We easily managed to grab one and safely retreat, but some members of the team were taken down by Flash, who smirked as he aimed the ball toward me.

Should I just take the hit..? Or...

I looked back toward my friends and saw that (YN) didn't have a ball, but was probably going to try to catch whatever ball Flash threw at us. Just then I had an idea...

It felt like hours had passed as the ball Flash threw made its way toward me. Being superhuman made it really easy to react. I smirked confidently as I turned back to be sure if (YN) was looking at me. Up until now, keeping our secret identity hidden was important... We can let ourselves have a little fun, right?

We can't go to crazy... So instead of doing what we would typically do, we waited for the ball to come closer... Until we caught it out of the air and threw it back, nailing Flash with a hard enough hit that he couldn't catch. And just like that, the enemy team's star player was benched.

The gymnasium was silent as we took down Flash with what seemed like minimal effort. We turned around and couldn't help but feel our grin grow bigger as (YN) stared at me with shock.

It felt kinda like... everyone around us blurred out. We just hyper focused on (YN)...

I walked over toward him and offered the dodge ball to him, forcing him out of the trance he seemingly fell under.

"Uh.. O-Oh, thanks..?" (YN) obliged, clearly caught off guard by our sudden performance...

We... I had to play it carefully after that. I can't let myself take it to far... I shouldn't have done it at all.. Why did I do that?

I'm.. We're sure it's fine. I mean, I got to impress (YN). What could go wrong?

Given my luck, a lot can go wrong actually...