Part 4- Seasons Change

Lucas POV
"Hey Babe, Riley and I are on our way now. See you soon."
"Awesome, can't wait to see you!"
I hung up the phone and finished gassing my pick up while Farkle continued to dig his nose into his current novel of choice.
"Alright, good to go" I said. I buckled my seat belt and put the car in drive.

"Do you think this summer will be different." Farkle said with hesitation in his voice.

"Different, how?"

"Last year things with Riley and I got a bit rocky and she just got distant. Our relationship is better then it's ever been and I just don't want to hurt her this time."

The year prior was a camping trip with the four of us and Mr. Matthews. Farkle and Riley had only been official for a a few weeks and her dad kept a close eye on them. Only a few weeks before then her ex, Mason cheated on her leaving her hesitant. After being hurt like that, Farkle was the first to be there for her. I don't really know how it happened. They just ended up together and he made her really happy. But, on the trip, during a hike one morning, Farkle crossed paths with another girl, Callie. They had met the summer before and had a short fling, but nothing serious. Long story short, Riley saw Callie kissing Farkle.

It hurt so much seeing her in so much pain all over again.

"Listen you were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Besides, Callie kissed you not the other way around."

"Yeah, but I didn't stop her and I'm just worried that I'll do something else to screw things up."

"You won't, Farkle. You clearly love her and she loves you. It's been a long time since then and like you said, your relationship is better then it's ever been."

"Yeah, guess your right. You and Maya just make it look so easy"

"Every relationship has its cracks." Farkle turned on the radio and our conversations faded to topics about starting school and rides we wanna go on.

A SHORT TIME LATER

When we arrived at the diner to meet the girls, Farkle moved to the back seat leaving room for Maya up front. Maya came out with her hair loosely falling below her shoulders and her favorite red jacket. A smile gleaned across her face when we made eye contact and I smiled back. Behind her followed Riley in her dark purple polka dot dress, black leggings, and soft brown hair neatly clipped into two braids. She gracefully shadowed mayas steps.

As they approached the car, Riley sat behind me next to Farkle, hugged him as he kissed her on the cheek. Maya securely put her bag in the truck bed then hopped up front.

"Okay Huckleberry. Let's go! Aeromax here I come." Maya said excitedly.

"Haha, yeah! This will be a great day!" Said Farkle.

"Okay, Maya and Farkle are ready." I began saying as I turned around to make eye contact with Riley. "You ready to go, Riley?"

She looked at me with her gentle brown eyes and said "Absolutely! Ready as ever."