Part 16-Realization

Cory's POV
I'm driving home after a busy first week with the students back when my phone rings unexpectedly. It's Topanga.
"Topanga, is everything okay" I hear her sobbing.
"Cory,R-Riley's in the hospital."
"What happened?"
"I'm not sure, they are doing tests now, but she passed out and hasn't woken up."
"I'm heading over now. I love you, Topanga. I'll have Shawn pick up Auggie."
"I love you too, Cory. I just hope our baby girl is okay." We hang up and I turn around to head to the hospital.

When I arrive, I see Topanga sitting in the waiting room. Her face is in her palms and she is shaking. I come over and comfort her. She accepts my invitation and lays her head on my chest.

"It'll be okay. Riley is a strong girl. She'll be okay."

Topangas POV

A million thoughts are racing through my mind. I move away from thinking the worst. All I want to know is if Riley is okay. Even through everything, Cory is here with me now. Whatever happens, we'll get through it together like we always do.

A young nurse approaches us. "Mr and Mrs.Matthews?"

We stand up still hands in hands. "Yes, that's us." Cory says.

"Please, come with me. We have news about Riley." We follow her steps into a small exam room. She invites us to sit down beside her desk.
"Thankfully, Riley has just awoken, but she is still very disoriented." She pauses for a moment, analyzing our manuerisms. "We performed blood work and the majority of her testing was promising. However we did find a few inconsistencies. The doctors found her iron levels to be very low and...she is HCG positive. After performing further testing, we found that Ms.Matthews is pregnant."

The minute I hear those words, blood rushes to my face. "Did you say p-pregnant?"
"Yes ma'am. I'm sure this may come as a shock. It is to us as well."
"Does she know? How do you know?" I say along with a number of other questions.
"Riley is not aware enough yet and we have not told her." After she answers our numerous questions, she says we can see her.
She shows us to her room and says "Another nurse will be back shortly to escort you back."

The nurse walks away, leaving the three of us. She is hooked up to machines, on oxygen, and a fetal monitor is beeping next to her. Seeing my baby girl in cords and wires breaks my heart. I hold her hand, it feels cold. "Riley." I say softly. Slowly, her eyes open and she looks at me.
"M-mom?"