Part 12-New Years

December 31st 10pm

Author's Note-Maya, Lucas, Zay, Farkle, and Riley all are together at a New Years Eve party. Farkle and Riley were not dating yet and Maya and Lucas had agreed to take a break for a few months. In the middle of the party, Maya has to leave early due to a call she gets unexpectedly.

Mayas POV
"Mom? Is everything okay?" I pick up the phone to only hear her crying. "What happened?"
"I-I lost my job and we're being threatened to be kicked out. I'm so sorry!"
"No it's okay. I'll be there soon."  I hang up the phone and find Riley talking with Farkle and Zay. I hate to miss the New Years party, but I need to be there for my mom.

I pull Riley aside,
"My mom just called, she needs my help with her work. I'm going to head back to her."
"Okay. Is everything okay Maya?" she asks concerningly.
"I hope so. I'll let you know, okay?"
"Okay." She hugs me tightly and part ways.

Riley's POV
I watch as Maya walks deeper into the crowd. Lucas comes over looking confused. "Where's Maya going? Is she okay?"
"She said she's going to help her mom out with work. I hope she's okay."
"Hopefully she'll let us know." He says. "So, do you want anything to drink?" He always goes out of his way for other people, something I've always loved about him.

"Is there punch or anything?"
"Yeah, I'll go get you some." He walks off and I continue dancing and socializing when I hear a nasally voice call out.
"Look who it is. Miss goody-two-shoes." I turn around to see Markus Wheiler. He started at our school last fall and has been pushing at me ever since.

My voice becomes shaky as I say "What is it, Markus?"
"Couldn't help but notice the sore thumb stinking up the air like you in that blinding red thing you call a dress." He cackles.
Lucas returns with one drink in hand the other in a fist. He sets the drink down and walks over to us, standing in front of me. His face is beat red and he is fuming. Markus and Lucas match in size but Lucas is double the strength and was ready to take him. "What the fuck did you say to her, jackass?"

Lucas wasn't one for any sort of swearing and I hadn't seen him this angry in a long time. Markus plasters a malicious smile across his face and says "Would you look at that! Goody two shoes has her self a boy toy to protect her!"
"Dude. There's no need to make a scene, just back off. She's done nothing to you. Zay and Farkle are now standing behind Lucas defensively.

"Wowww, she's got a whole gang against me now, huh?" Most of the room has cleared except for the 5 of us. "What yuh gonna do, boy toy?"
He breaths deeply and slowly then closes his eyes. I see his fists turn a deep red. He opens his eyes and speaks while gritting his teeth saying, "Seriously, man. Back. off." Then Markus gets close to Lucas and says "Make me."
Cautious to intervene, I stay silent and gently touch Lucas shoulder. Markus remarks saying "And now your little girl friend is trying to protect you from getting your ass beat! Priceless!"

I was preparing myself for a bloody mess and I step back, still shaking. Rather then fight, Lucas breaths deeply once more, releases his fists, and says calmly "Just leave her alone. So what if she was my girl friend? That should only give you more reason to back off." He steps close to Markus and whispers in his ear "Mess with her one more time and I'll beat your fucking ass until every bone in your body breaks. Got it?"
Markus face went paper white and he shrunk down like a small helpless creature. He said nothing and walked away realizing how serious Lucas was.

"Thank you for what you did." I say.
He take me by one hand and places another on my shoulder. My heart beat steadies and I stop shaking as he looks me in the eye and says "You don't deserve to ever be treated like that. You look beautiful in that dress and his words don't matter. Any guy would be lucky to call you his." Suddenly a butterfly feeling builds in me. I simply melt in his arms and warmly embrace him.

He looks at me and says "do you want to get some air?"
"Sure."
We head to the terrace leading out to the view of the city lights and the stars shining above us. We stand in peaceful silence. Then we hear the countdown for the new year begin.

"A young women as beautiful as you shouldn't go without a New Years kiss." He says suggestedly.
"And a handsome man like you shouldn't either." I say with a whispering tone.

The group begins to shout, 10-9-8-7. He places one hand on my back and the other on my cheek. 6-5-4. I put my arms around his neck. 3. Our faces draw closer. 2. I close my eyes. 1- and without a second thought, he presses his lips against mine and I kiss him in the most beautiful way I ever have. It was perfect. My heart was racing and I felt so close to him. Without hesitation, he held my hand as he slowly guided me up the stairs to an empty bedroom.  For the first time in my life, I completely surrendered myself. His bare body against mine. His tender lips and soothing touch...
Never would I have thought I would lose my virginity to one of my best friends.