Part 8- Unknown

Mayas POV-Before the Ferris Wheel

Today was just what I needed. The past few months have been a lot. My mom lost her job and had to start working as a bartender barely making minimum wage. The financial stress and thinking about the future has been a lot. But Riley and her family are always there and so is Lucas. At least today it's about the here and now with my boyfriend, best friend, and you know, our loveable odd ball, Farkle.

I'm still not exactly sure how Riley and Farkle happened but they seem happy together. Sometimes I wonder if they are just one another's safety net so there's no awkward third wheel.
Worries aside I'm just glad to live in the moment before school starts next week. Farkles face when we were spinning on the Aeromax was one unforgettable moment. After getting off the rides, Farkle looked about ready to pass out.
"How was that?" I said enthusiastically.
"Yeah, it was good" he said still looking sour-faced. We began our 5 minute walk to the Ferris Wheel when Farkle sparked conversation.
"Hey, has Riley seemed off to you lately?"
"Off? How?" I said a bit taken a back.
"I don't know something's just seem different about her." I was still trying to keep my breakfast down after all those rides that I hadn't had much time to reflect. Has she been acting different?
"I-I don't know."
"On the ride over she looked like she wasn't feeling well. And seems like she's been like that for a while but the last few days I've noticed it a lot. Distant too." I pondered for a moment then spoke.

"Maybe she's sick or something? I know she was looking forward to today and maybe she didn't want to miss it."

"Yeah you're probably right. You're her best friend and her safe space. Riley will come to you if not." He paused then continued, "Maybe it's just me. I mean, Lucas even has seemed off, especially today."

I had noticed Lucas distancing himself from conversation. Could it be-no, Riley would say so. I tried to shrug off the idea. Then we heard an announcement from the speakers about the Ferris wheel being stuck.

"Do you think they're on it?" I said with concern. Riley's never done well with heights even at 17.

"I'm not sure, I'll text her." Farkle stopped walking for a second then grunted. "Ugh, no signal! Even in the middle of Manhattan! I really need a new phone..."

We were only a few minutes away and could now see the giant wheel peaking over the trees. Once we reached the wheel, I could see people exiting.
"Hey, they're they are."
I began to run to them and said "Pumpkin! Huckleberry! They're you are." Immediately I took Lucases hand and look in his eyes and then to Riley's eyes. "Are you okay? I heard you got stuck!"

After talking to Farkle, I could see it more then ever. Something seemed wrong but I didn't want to pry. Almost instinctly, Riley spoke up and said she was a bit nervous but enjoyed the ride. I guess I was expecting more of a reaction. There was this unspoken exchange between them and Lucas agreed with her.

We carried on in conversation then headed back to Lucas's truck. I held tighter to Lucas like I was afraid of something. But what?