Part 5-Realization

August 26th, First day of school

Riley's POV
I wake up the morning of my first day feeling sick to my stomach. I stumble to the bathroom with a nauseous feeling and proceed to spill my guts into the toilet. After, I still feel horrible and sit on the cold bathroom tiles with my head between my knees, wincing in pain.

"Well this is just fantastic" I think to myself. "Day one and I'm already sick." I steady myself to a standing position, brush my teeth, and hop in the shower before I do anything further. As I wrap myself in a towel, I still can't shake the nausea.

On a normal day, I love the smell of my moms homemade breakfasts. But today was not one of those days. I push myself to dress in the outfit I had sorted the day before, put on my makeup, and curl my hair.

After a few minutes, my mom knocks on my door.

"Morning, sweets. You hungry? I made your favorite!"

"Thanks, mom. Honestly I'm not super hungry. You know, first day jitters."

"Okay, well I'll pack you something light for on the go" she says gently.

I finish getting ready, take one big anti-nausea pill, and grab my bag.

"Bye mom, bye Auggie. Love you!" I couldn't miss my first day but didn't want to worry anyone. I picked up my keys and headed to my car.

Maya and I agreed to meet up at school that day. She was waiting for me at the entry.
"Riles!" She says enthusiasticly and proceeds to hug me. I wince in discomfort but accept the hug.
She releases my grasp and steps back with a concerned look. "You okay?"

"Y-yeah. I'm just feeling kinda sick. I think I ate something bad last night." Suddenly, I hear a man's voice say; "Hey Maya, hey Riley!"

I look over to see...oh shit. My face goes pale and then I realize just how badly I messed up.