Part 9- The Unspoken Word

Riley's POV
We arrive at the beach and Maya and I head to the bathroom to change into our suits. It was surprisingly warm that day, 85 and sunny. I finally was feeling more like myself and was ready to shake off the Ferris Wheel. After changing, we grabbed our things and began to walk to the picnic table.
"Hey Riles...?"
"What's up?" My palms got sweaty and I could feel my heart racing.
"Are you feeling okay?"
"I mean I was a bit shaken from the whole heights thing, but yeah. Why?"
"No reason, just wanted to make sure you were good." She smiled softly. I felt a pit sink in my stomach.

"I was thinking about seeing the firework tonight!" Farkle said.
"Sounds fun!" we said in unison. He took me by the hand and kissed my cheek. For the next several hours, Farkle didn't leave my side and neither did Maya leave Lucas.

"It's starting to get dark. Should we pack up our stuff and head over?" Lucas asked.

"Oh come onnn, it's barely even night yet! Besides it's just us, let's have some fun!" Maya said. Farkle agreed and said,
"Yeah they don't start for a while."
"We could always come back after, Maya?"

"Okay, okay. You guys pack up and I'll meet you at the car. Lucas, Farkle, and I grabbed everything but Mayas sandals and towel. We loaded up the truck and Farkle went to change. He hated wearing wet clothes and didn't wait an extra second. Lucas and I walked over to Maya with her damp blonde hair now turned to beachy waves and her worn out red sandals.

Together we went over to where the crowd gathered preparing to watch the light show. Farkle met up with us a few moments later snacks in hand. He handed each of us our favorites. The smell of Mayas chips made me feel sick and I stepped away for a moment. I decided to sit seperate from the crowd.

We watched the dark night sky light up with red, blue, and green lights. Everyone clapped and gazed into the night sky. Above me was the Big Dipper with twinkling stars surrounding it. This felt almost as soothing as In Lucas arms. No, I can't think that way. It's not fair to Maya.

I looked over to see Lucas alone. Maya and Farkle were no where to be seen. I walked over to him. He sat on the grass looking into the night sky as the soft breeze blew his hair just right. He noticed my presence and looked up at me with the same awing look.

"Hey." I said with a soft smile
"Hi." I sat down next time without thought. "Where'd Maya and Farkle go?" I asked

"They went back to the truck. They're both pretty tired. Mayas driving on the way back and she wants to get her rest before the long drive." I nod to show understanding. Slowly he leans in closer to me, his body only inches from mine.
"Riley, there's something I've been meaning to tell you. Actually, for a while now." That butterfly feeling came flooding back.
"What is it?" I said.

"Since New Years I haven't been able to stop thinking about you, about us. Riley, I still care for you." I thought for a second before replying.
"B-but what about Maya?"
"Things are good, comfortable. But we aren't close like before." I realized what was happening but couldn't help giving in.

"That's how things feel with Farkle too. I care for him, but..." he touches my hand. "I know."
Those inches between became smaller and smaller until we kissed. He touched his soft lips against mine and grazed his arms around me.  He moved away for a moment and whispered, "I love you." Then the one thing I had been holding back from happened.