Trouble

Rory's POV
I was roused from my sleep by a persistent thirst lodged in the back of my throat, slowly getting up I decided to make my way to the town well in the hopes to grab a quick drink. The water there was never as fresh as the water from the stream but my body felt hot and weak so I opted for whatever was closest.

As I was shakily drawing the full bucket up from the well, I felt a presence behind me. Turning I was met with Mathias' looming figure just a few metres away from where I was.

Scrambling in fright, I accidentally lost my grip on the heavy bucket causing it to splash loudly when it returned to the bottom of the well. Sighing heavily, I turned to regard Mathias dubiously.

"I w-was just trying to get a drink. You scared me." I stated cautiously. A gentle smile played on his lips as he strode up to me smoothly. I side-stepped cautiously as he approached.

Swiftly grabbing the rope from my raw hands, I watched as his broad shoulders heaved the heavy bucket out of the well after a couple of tugs. "Thank y-you." I stuttered shyly as I desperately drank from the bucket.

Although it quenched my thirst and my throat no longer felt like sandpaper, it did nothing to help the humid atmosphere. "Nice weather, isn't it." Mathias commented quietly, glancing at me sideways.

"It's a bit hot." I said abruptly. "Couldn't sleep because of the humidity." I explained, more politely. Mathias frowned. "I know Summer's approaching but it's quite chilly tonight and you're only dressed in a pelt." He commented.

Crossing my arms annoyedly, my eyebrows drew up in irritation. "Well maybe I just have more body fat than you, Geezus." I scolded. Mathias stared at the ground in thought.

"You could be in heat." He commented. I drew up at his words. "I-I'm not in h-heat." I said abruptly. He folded his arms across his chest. "Sure you're not... feeling humid, dehydration, next thing you know it'll be your pheromones coming out to play and then the slick, you know what happens after that fourth step." He warned.

Looking around frantically, I tried to locate a puddle of mud I could hide my scent with. I looked to Mathis helplessly. "W-what do I do!" I exclaimed. Before I knew it, he had drawn a new bucket of water from the well and was dumping it over my head.

"That'll wash your scent off temporarily and keep you cool enough to function." He stated. "Go back to Xavier's den and stay there." He ordered.

Rushing from the well, I ran back to the den and locked the door behind me, shivering uncomfortably at the heat building up in my body.