Chapter 43

"..." Izuku stood frozen in place as Aizawa continued to stare at him. Finally regaining control of his body, he jumped in surprise. "Huh!?! Me?! You want me to use a weapon?! But I'm only gonna be an analyst! I'm not supposed to carry a weapon!"

Aizawa sighed, holding the bridge of his nose as Izuku went into a whole speech about how it was illegal for civilians to carry weapons without proper documentation, and how it was even more illegal for them to use the. Shinso was just as confused as Izuku, but remained silent as he went to start his stretches. Finally, Aizawa stopped Izuku before the boy would pass out from his lack of breathing.

"Calm down," Aizawa spoke, the frustration in his voice was enough to silence Izuku as the teacher continued. "Some people find that mastering a weapon can help them improve their fighting ability all together. It helps better your muscle memory and makes your moving more fluid. I'm sure that you'd do great with just hand to hand, but for that you'd need someone who's mastered a single art."

"Haven't you mastered an art before, Sensei?" Izuku asked, slightly surprised. He always thought Eraserhead's fighting style was a mix of many forms of martial arts, was he wrong?

"No, I didn't." Aizawa held up part of his capture weapon. "After I got into the hero course, I relied a lot on my quirk and natural instincts. My teacher hated that and now that I'm older, I understand why. Once Genji made me this capture weapon, I trained myself to use it and came up with my own fighting style that went well with how it moved."

"My fighting style works with or without the scarf, but it's more effective with it. That's why I can't teach it to you."

"But, if I master a weapon and come up with my own fighting style, won't it become useless without the weapon?" Izuku asked, his nose was scrunched up like a rabbit as he tried to understand his teacher's logic.

"Yes." Aizawa said simply.

"..."

Aizawa sighed even louder than before, seeming disappointed. "You get to keep the weapon, Problem Child. All of the weapons behind me are ones citizens can buy. Once you are fully trained and become an analyst, it's legal for you to carry a weapon with the proper licence."

"Why doesn't he train with a gun, then? Isn't that what most detectives use?" Shinso asked from a couple feet away. Izuku thought the boy had't been listening, but apparently not. Izuku's eyes lit up at the idea.

There are so many adjustments that can be made on a gun! Mei and I could make so many different bullets together, all with different functions. Oh my gosh! And I would get to shoot a gun?!

 "Do you see that look on his face? That! That's why he isn't getting a gun." Aizawa spoke quickly, pointing at Izuku like he was a rabid animal. Izuku deflated, slightly disappointed that he wouldn't be shooting a gun. "Also, because he won't get a true fighting style out of it. Snipe had to master both karate and judo in case he loses his weapon in battle."

"So what options are there?" Izuku asked as he reached the table. There were quite a few options, including a bo staff, a nunchaku, a tonfa and a jōhyō. Izuku picked up the bo staff before looking at the jōhyō and Aizawa's scarf. He set the staff down and picked up the jōhyō.

"You're sure?" Aizawa asked, Izuku nodded, holding the steel end in one hand and looping the rope around his arm so it didn't drag on the floor. "That one has a rope 3 meters long. Apparently you can use a rope up to 5 meters long once you get used to it."

Izuku followed Aizawa to the mat Shinso was on, before setting the jōhyō down so he can do his stretches.

"Today, you're both doing a couple laps and a few spars before working with your weapon. Shinso, you'll do the same exercise you did during your internship." Shinso nodded in understanding as Aizawa turned to Izuku. "You will be watching videos online. Try to learn how to hold your weapon and repeat putting it on like you do with your battle stance." Izuku nodded, feeling a little more excited about training today.