4

It began to get late, the sun had gone down and the starry dark sky was out and about. 

"Oh, shoot, time flies, huh. It's real late, I should get going." I said, looking at my watch.

"Orrr, you could stay over for the night! Like how you used to when Evan was young." William lightly grabbed my wrist. 

My eyes looked down at my wrist in his grip and then back up to meet his eyes. 

"Besides, we took your car, didn't we? You owe me a ride to work in the morning."

I quietly chuckled, "Alright, fine, Afton." I had nothing to come home to. No pets, no partner and no children. It was much more appealing to stay here than go back to my quiet old home. 

So the kids cleaned up the tea party while William and I relaxed on the couch together. 

"Alright, off to bed with yous!" William ushered his kids to bed, leaving us alone. 

We sat and watched TV in a comfortable silence. 

3:37 AM. 

"(Y/N)?" I look over to William, whose eyes were battling for their lives to stay awake. 

"Yeah?" I turned my head to see him.

"Why do you stay," he asked. His voice was barely a whisper. He was too tired to even speak. 

"What do you mean? Are you having a mid-life crisis?" 

"Why do you help me and my kids? What do you get out of it?"

"I help because I care about you, I care about you and your kids. I get nothing material out of it, but I don't care. I get love from you and your kids." 

William's eyes welled with tears. 

Oh shit, did I say something wrong?

"Thank you-" William hugged me tight. "I'm sorry, I'm so tired and my brain's doing loops right now-" 

"It's alright Mr. Mid-life-crisis, let's get you to bed." I chuckled. 

"Okay," he chuckled lightly and deliriously. "Ask me about this tomorrow, and I'll deny all of it." 

I got William into his bed and pulled the blanket over him. 

"Goodnight, sweetie." I mocked a motherly tone. 

William giggled. "Goodnight, Mom.

I went back to the couch and laid down, closing my eyes and drifting off to sleep.