11

Aint no way William likes me. I mean, sure we've been best friends for like 15 years now, and I take care of his children as if I'm their mother, and I spend every night at his house as if I'm his wife and-

"I wouldn't mind you being Mrs. Afton~"

I thought that had been a joke!

How am I this blind?

Well, in all fairness, romance wasn't really my main concern. Maybe that's why I didn't notice.

I smiled at William as he kept his gaze on the road. His face seemed pinker than usual, maybe that's because he just admitted he loved me. Probably.

Do I like him? I mean, yeah, I do. But do I like him romantically? Unsure. Maybe? I mean, I do enjoy his company very much. I wouldn't mind a relationship with him...

I sat in silence.

"I wouldn't mind you being Mrs. Afton~" the words replayed over and over in my head.

Images flashed in my mind of what it would be like to be Mrs. Afton–I could imagine marrying him, maybe having a child of my own with him.

My cheeks flushed red thinking about it.

"I-, I love you too." I blurted with a stutter.

The car seemed to slow down as William looked at me, registering what I'd said.

Did I say something wrong? Did he mean that he loved me as a joke? Was that sarcasm?

I looked around, panicked and flustered. William smiled and placed his hand on mine as he continued driving. "I am beyond happy, Love."

I sighed contently as we drove back to William's house.

Upon arriving at the house, we unpacked my few boxes and got me settled. Michael and Evan still weren't home from school yet.

I plopped myself down on the couch and William plopped himself down beside me.

I tilted and leaned my body to lean on his side as he put and arm around me.
Again, I felt safe in his arms. If the world were burning, I'd still feel safe in his embrace. His arm kept me flush to his side and my head rested on his shoulder as his head rested on mine.

I felt a tender kiss be placed on my forehead. My face flushed red and I looked up at William. William smiled at me, his lips curving into an adorable arch. I smiled back and rested my head on his chest.

Everything seemed to disappear in that moment. Every worry I had was whisked away in a blink of an eye.

Elizabeth's death, the closing of the diner, everything just silenced itself as I sat in William's arms.

Maybe everything will be fine.