Chapter 6

3.16.22

"Okay, we didn't know what everyone would want, so we just got lots of chicken, fries, and boberry biscuits." My mom explains. Bojangles was yet another of my favorite restaurants, and all of those things were what I normally got. My mother smiles warmly at me, and I know she thought about that, too.

They got plenty of food, and I know even if the rest of the Salty Christians were to show up, we'd still have leftovers. My mother hands me a cup, and I can tell instantly that it's Dr. Pepper.

"Thanks, mom." I say with a laugh. The guys bring over more chairs so that we're all able to sit by each other. Spencer manages to hold Harper and eat his food, and I can't help but laugh as he struggles.

"Do you want me to hold her?" I ask once I finish my food.

"Not really, but you probably should." He says with a laugh, reluctantly handing me the baby.

"Okay, Aspen." I turn to face Jeremy as he gets my attention. "The rest of the group worked out a plan of sorts. Since it's such a long drive, they're probably only going to be able to come up once or twice a week. But I can come up as often as possible. I might even just stay with a buddy up here."

"Jer, you are all so nice but I don't think Ry would want this to inconvenience any of you."

"Like I said, Rylie would do the same for any of us. She's not an inconvenience in the slightest."

"Okay. And Jeremy, you're welcome to stay at my place if you need. We've got a couch, and a spare room when my mom isn't here."

"Thanks, Aspen. I might take you up on that." He and Austin move to stand. "We're going to head back to topsail, but I'll keep you updated on when I can come back."

I pass Harper back to an eager Spencer before standing to hug Jeremy and Austin. "Thank you, both. Having you two by my side has made this an easier thing to deal with."

"We'll always be here for you, Aspen." Austin replies with a grin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By 7:00pm, it's just me, my mother and Brad in the waiting room. Kristen and Dillon left to put Harper to bed, as well as to watch the boys for Brad. Spencer had gone with them, and I could tell he really didn't want to part with Harper.

I knew that Brad and Kristen both wanted to stay, but decided to take turns staying. They wanted to be at the hospital at all times in case there were any updates. That's how I felt, too.

Mom's boyfriend, Jay, was currently speaking with Rylie's doctor to get updated on her condition. I was curled up into a ball on my chair waiting, just hoping I would be able to see Rylie before going home for the night. I know I'd just seen her this morning, but that felt so long ago.

I rest my head on my hand and let my eyes travel around the room, taking note of everything for the first time. The walls are a dull grey color, matching the shade of the stiff, new carpet. The entire room had that 'new' smell, but not a clean new smell. New like everything had been in boxes in storage for months before being set up here. I wasn't a fan of that smell, it burned my nostrils.

A large vending machine and soda machine take up one part of the far wall, the quiet humming from both machines fill the silence. Chairs and tables fill the rest of the room, but only three other people occupy them. I study each of their faces carefully, trying to guess why they're here. They each look calm and slightly bored, so it's easy to assume that whoever they're here for either isn't in a serious situation, or they're not close with the person.

Close like I am with Rylie.

I shove the thought from my mind. I'd gone several hours without crying, and I wanted to keep it that way.