Chapter 7

3.17.2022 - I had a lot of unexpected stuff come up at work today so the chapters might be coming out slower today, and I might only be able to do one or two. But I'll do my best, and hopefully things will slow down for me after lunch so I can type more!

By Wednesday, there is still no progression or news with Rylie. Things hadn't gotten worse, but they weren't getting much better, either. Jeremy and I finish a quick lunch in the cafeteria before heading back upstairs. They'd finally let us in Rylie's room instead of the waiting room.

Right now, Brad and Spencer are the only other ones there, and they're both fast asleep when we join them again. A large window lined the outside wall, and a long couch sat beneath the windowsill. Both Brad and Spencer's heads rested on the back of the couch, and their mouths were both opened slightly. Brad was softly snoring, making me chuckle. I share a smile with Jeremy before claiming my chair again and opening my book.

The room was bright and open, less cramped than other hospital rooms. Probably a good thing, considering how many of us were in here at a time. I only read a few paragraphs before I'm interrupted by someone in the doorway. "Sam?" Confusion fills my voice.

"Shit..." Jeremy mumbles under his breath. We hadn't decided what to tell him, or even when to tell him, but I guess that didn't matter now. Sam's eyes are wide and filled with pain as they land on Rylie's still form. "What happened?" His voice breaks. "How come no one told me?"

My heart breaks for him. I didn't know how he'd found out, but I knew he was upset we hadn't told him right away. I would've been upset, too.

"Sam..." Jeremy starts, hesitantly standing from his chair. He takes a short step towards Sam. "We were going to tell you after your..."

"Fuck you, Jeremy! This is Rylie! She's like my sister!" Sam cries. At his raised voice, both Brad and Spencer wake up and nervously get to their feet. "You of all people know this, Jer." He says, his voice breaking as he steps closer to Rylie.

I tentatively get to my feet and move to the side, offering my chair to Sam since it's right by the bed. His gaze lingers on Rylie for a moment before jumping to mine, and surprise ripples through me as he pulls me into his strong arms.

"I'm so sorry, Sam." I whisper as I tighten my arms around him.

"You have absolutely nothing to apologize for." Sam replies quickly before pulling back. He slides into my empty chair before gently taking Rylie's limp hand. "What happened?" He asks again, softly this time.

"She was surfing. She fell... and her board knocked her out. Jeremy, Derek and Austin got her out of the water, but she was gone for nine minutes... and she hasn't woken up since." I explain.

"Do they know why?"

"No." My voice is shaky.

"She's a good surfer, though. I don't... I don't understand."

"Me neither." I say simply. Jeremy brings a chair over and places it by Sam's, and I smile gratefully at him before sinking onto it. Sam reaches his free hand over and takes mine without moving his eyes from Rylie.

"She has to wake up." He whispers, his voice so quiet that only I hear it. "She has to be okay."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When the doctors enter the room later that evening to do their usual tests and scans, the five of us leave the room reluctantly. I follow Brad and Spencer into the waiting room, but Sam and Jeremy stay behind, lingering in the hallway.

I watch from my chair as they talk, ready to intervene if needed. But as I watch, I know it won't be needed. As they talk, Sam runs a hand across his eyes, and I realize he's crying. After a moment, Jeremy pulls him in for a hug, and Sam seems to almost cling to him.