Chapter Thirty-Eight

7.21.2022

I wake just before 10:00 the next morning to Rylie's arms slipping away from me as she rolls over in her sleep. I stretch quietly before sitting up to stare at her perfect, sleeping face.

All of the bad feelings from the dream last night are gone, and I only feel the good and calm reassurance Rylie had given me. I study her for a moment longer before slipping out from beneath the covers and padding over to the balcony door to slide it quietly open.

The sound of wind and the crashing waves below spill into the room, but Rylie doesn't stir. I step out onto the balcony and shut the door quietly before leaning against the railing.

The sun is slowly getting higher in the sky, with no clouds to block its warm rays

The sun is slowly getting higher in the sky, with no clouds to block its warm rays. The deep blue water of the gulf stretches out endlessly as far as I can see, and I smile softly. This really was a view I could never get tired of. I lean over the railing slightly and glance down, scanning my eyes over the cabins below. There's not much to see, only a few hands and arms as people take in the morning view, some holding cups of coffee or books.

 There's not much to see, only a few hands and arms as people take in the morning view, some holding cups of coffee or books

Then, I glance up and to my left at the deck above. I can't see too much of the deck from this angle, but I can see more people, some leaning against the railings, some walking in the direction of the lido deck with trays of food, or towels and sunscreen.

I turn as I hear a noise behind me and smile as Rylie steps onto the balcony. "Good morning, love."

"Good morning." Rylie returns my smile before kissing me softly. Her breath smells minty, and I wish I'd thought to brush my teeth before coming out here.

"Sorry I don't taste like toothpaste." I say with a laugh.

"I don't care." Rylie grins before kissing me again. "Can we go get breakfast?" She asks after only a moment.

"You don't want to admire the view?"

"Wow," Rylie says suddenly, turning quickly towards the water. "Stunning. Beautiful view. Nice!" Then, she turns back to me. "Okay, it's been admired. Can we go eat now?"