Chapter Fifty-Two

4.6.2023

A/N: Look:) I took lots more pictures for the chapter covers while I was in arizona:)

Smut scene and mentions of sh in this chapter

"I got something." Rylie says as she breaks away, and I pout. "I'll kiss you again in a minute." She laughs, reaching for the bag she'd set aside.

"Thank you." I giggle as she opens a small box. "You had every right to be upset with me for hiding this from you, and yet, you've been understanding and loving."

"I'll never be anything but loving and understanding with you, Aspen. I would never be upset, especially not with something like this. I am sorry though, for how I was yesterday. I was hurt and closed myself off instead of communicating with you. I shouldn't have been like that."

"Hey," I place my hand on hers. "You had every right to be. Although, I will admit, I was worried about you last night. And this morning when you were gone." I give her a small smile.

"Yeah, I was stupid for that. And it was cold as hell, but I deserved that." She giggles. "But this morning, I went to the store." I glance down as Rylie opens the lid of a small tube. "I know it's been several days, but I still wanted to help you take care of them." She leans down, softly kissing each cut before showing me what she got. "I was lost, I didn't know what to do or how to help you. So I went to the store and got a few things to help with the cuts. I also got your favorite ice cream, candy, and a big soft blanket so that we can cuddle while watching your favorite movie."

"Divergent?" I ask softly, stunned by Rylie's thoughtfulness.

"Divergent." She responds with a grin.

"You didn't have to do all of that, Ry."

"I know, but I kinda did have to. Well, I wanted to." She corrects herself with a smile. "When I married you, I promised to love you and help you through anything and everything. I want to help you through everything, Aspen. It's an added bonus that most of your favorite things are my favorite things." She giggles. "Another favorite thing of mine is taking care of you."

Rylie pours a small dot of Neosporin onto her index finger before smoothing it carefully over my wrist. Next, she opens a gauze pad and sets it gently over the cuts before finishing with a gauze wrap to hold everything in place. "There." She smiles softly, studying her work.

"Thank you, Rylie." I whisper, trying to blink the tears from my eyes. No one has ever loved or treated me like this, and here Rylie was, doing it all so easily.

"I want to take care of you, Aspen. Always. I need you to know that I'll never be disappointed about anything like this. Granted, it hurts my heart to think of you hurting yourself, but I also know that relapses are part of the healing process. I want to do anything I can to help you keep from relapsing again, but I'll also be here to take care of you if there's ever another moment where it's too much to handle." Tears form in Rylie's eyes and I drop my gaze.

"I don't want to relapse again, Ry." I whisper.

"I know, baby." She whispers, lifting my chin. "Be kind and patient with yourself. And forgiving, because I know that even though you're extremely kind, patient and forgiving with everyone else in your life, it's sometimes hard for you to be that way with yourself." Rylie gives me a sad smile as she lightly brushes a tear from my cheek.

"No one has ever been able to help me see the good things in myself the way you have, Ry." I say quietly, absentmindedly rubbing the new bandage.

"There's only good to see." She says simply before kissing my forehead.