Chapter 16

3.23.2022 - I took the cover picture last night, the sunset was beautiful:)

When I finally wake up three hours later, it's nearing 6:00pm. It takes me a minute to remember everything, but when I see Rylie, still asleep in my arms, relief washes through me.

She's really okay.

Rylie's breathing is deep and even, her chest rising and falling softly with each breath. Tearing my eyes from her isn't easy, but as my phone vibrates softly on the nightstand next to me, I finally pull my gaze away. The message on my screen shows Jeremy's name.

J- Y'all busy tonight?

Me- Nope, just woke up from a much needed nap. What's up?

J-Down for a movie? We know Ry needs rest, but some of us are desperate to see her.

I laugh, knowing he's referring to Sam.

Me- We're in!

I shoot him our address and carefully slip out of bed and throw on a t-shirt before heading into the living room to clean up.

Putting the couch back in order is easier than I expected. Now that Rylie is home, I'm more than happy to put it away. I throw the blankets and sheets in the washer, as well as a few random clothes before pouring the soap in and starting the machine.

Next, I clean up the already mostly clean kitchen and living room, readying it for Jeremy and the others. By the time I finish that, nearly an hour has passed and Rylie still isn't awake.

Normally, that wouldn't worry me. She loved to sleep. And she was a deep sleeper. But considering how she'd woken up from a coma only a day ago, I can't help but start to worry.

Is it even possible to slip back into a coma after just waking up?

It was. I suddenly remember in Grey's Anatomy when Mark Sloane wakes up from his coma, and what happens after. I shake my head, not wanting to entertain that thought. I knew she was okay. I'd just go wake her up.

Light from the setting sun trickles into the room from the small opening in the curtains, bathing Rylie in a warm glow as she sleeps. She has one arm under the pillow, and the other clutches the grey comforter. Her bare shoulders peek out from beneath the blanket, her skin smooth and flawless.

As much as I don't want to wake her, I needed to make sure she could wake up. I sit carefully on the bed before gently shaking her shoulder. A breath of relief slips from my lips as she stirs.

"Hey," She says, smiling sleepily. "You okay?" She asks when she sees my face.

"Yeah, you just slept for a while longer than I expected you to." I laugh. "You might never sleep tonight."

"I feel like I could fall back asleep now and not wake up for another 14 hours."

"Yeah, but let's not do that because I was getting a little bit worried." I say with another laugh.

"Sorry, love. What time is it, anyway?"

"Almost 7:00pm." Would you be up for some guests? Jeremy, Sam, Emma and Ava want to come over for a movie. I told them yes, but I can tell them neverminded if you're not ready for company."

"I am more than up for that!" Rylie says happily. "When are they coming over?"

"7:30."

"Oh, that's soon! I gotta shower! I'd invite you to join me, but I don't think we have enough time." She grins.

"There's always enough time for that." I tease, raising an eyebrow.

"Not for what I want to do to you. We'd need at least an hour." Rylie smirks.