Chapter Forty-Four

12.22.2022

A/N: Smut warning:) Also, the cover photo for this chapter is one I took at Topsail Beach where the first book was based:)

My phone buzzes in my pocket, signaling a text message. "Hey Barry, will you cover table five for me while I take my break?"

"Sure." Barry replies with a smile. I thank him before heading into the back for my coat. Normally I wouldn't check my phone while working, but it was time for my break anyway and I doubted table five would need anything for a while.

The door creaks as I push it open, and I'm instantly hit with the brisk winter air. The cold feels good after the workout I'd gotten from the lunch rush, but I zip up my coat so I don't get too cold too fast.

The sky above is cloudy and grey, and I wonder once again if it'll finally snow. I really hoped so, winter became ten times more enjoyable when snow was involved. My phone buzzes once more and I glance down to see Rylie's name on the screen. A grin covers my face as I open her message. She'd attached a selfie of her and an adorable white puppy.

Ry- It's puppy day! This little guy was so sad after we gave him his vaccinations, but I cuddled with him while telling him stories of my unbelievably sweet, sexy wife, and he calmed down instantly. Then he demanded I take a picture so you would consider adopting him because he knows you'd love him!

My smile only grows as I type back my response to her.

Me- Only you have the ability to make me blush this hard from a simple text, Ry. And as cute as this little guy is, I don't think Harvey would appreciate another dog stealing away our attention...

I send the text and only have to wait two seconds before my phone starts ringing. The moment I answer, Rylie is talking.

"Did that really make you blush?"

"Yes, baby." I laugh. "Referring to me as your wife, especially with 'sweet' and 'sexy' in front of it is a sure way to make me blush."

"Noted." Rylie replies, and I hear the grin in her voice. "Now as for the puppy, he says he will be the perfect little brother so that Harvey will love him too!"

"Ry," I giggle, but she doesn't let me finish.

"Aspen, he is so cute. You can't tell just how cute from the picture, but I know you'd fall in love if you met him."

"Rylie, I'm already in love with him and he is so cute, but I don't know if a second dog is a good idea. How old is he anyway? A few weeks?"

"Six weeks old."

"We wouldn't even be able to take him home for two or three more weeks!"

"I know, but it would be worth the wait!"

"Can we talk about it once we both get home?" I ask with another laugh.

"Yes!" Rylie says excitedly, already knowing she'd easily get me to cave. "I get off work early today, so I'll stop by the store for groceries on my way home and get there probably around 5:30pm. Then we can change and talk about the puppy on the way to the light festival!"

"That sounds great, love." I smile, looking forward to this evening. "I love you so much, Ry."

"I love you, Aspen. Good luck with the rest of your shift! Oh, and tell Barry I say hi!"

"I will." I laugh. "Bye."

"Bye!" Rylie replies before hanging up. I miss her voice instantly, but know I only have three hours of my shift left and then I'll be home with her.