Chapter Sixty-Nine

12.25.2023

hello again:) I am so sorry it has been months since i last posted. life has gotten in the way but i'm working on figuring things out so I can start posting regularly again! I hope you all have had happy holidays so far! I also hope all of you know how thankful I am for you and your support and kind words. I don't say it enough, but I truly do appreciate each of you, and you've helped me get through some low points in life, and I wish I had a way to repay y'all. But anyway, enough sappy stuff for the night lol here is a long overdue chapter, (smut included:)) I hope you enjoy!

(side note, the cover photo this chapter is of this adorable dog i saw in vermont when i went a few months ago for my grandmas funeral (dw, she was quite old so we were expecting it haha) anyway he was such a cute dog and i was obsessed:))

"What time is your meeting?" I ask Rylie before sitting on the couch, pulling my laptop towards me.

"In 10 minutes." Rylie answers from the kitchen.

"Okay. Do you want me to go into a different room?"

"No, I would actually prefer sitting next to you. It's good for my anxiety."

"Oh," I giggle, knowing she rarely has much anxiety in general. "Is that so?"

"Yes. Plus, I don't have to turn my camera on, so they won't even know you're there." Rylie grins, joining me in the living room with her laptop. With her work trip to Florida coming up next week, her boss wanted to do a video meeting with a few of his colleagues in Florida that they would be working with for a couple of days.

"What time do we need to leave for laser tag?" I ask before focusing back on the pictures I'm editing.

"Sam and the others said to meet at 9:00pm, so we should leave by 8:00."

"Perfect, that leaves plenty of time for a nap." I grin. Sam had invited all of the Salty Christians to a sort of party for New Years Eve that consisted of all night laser tag, and endless food. The food is apparently his favorite part. Since the location is closer to the city, Sydnee, Alyssa and Josh wouldn't be able to make it work, but I'm excited to see everyone else.

"A nap sounds amazing right now." Rylie says wistfully. "But I still have to pack."

I struggle to keep my face from dropping as I remember once again that in just a few days, she'll be leaving for a week. "I'll help you pack, because I really wanna nap with you." I grin before kissing her cheek.

"Sounds like a deal to me." Rylie returns my smile before turning her attention back to her computer as the meeting starts. I try to focus on my editing for a few minutes, but give up when Rylie's meeting becomes more interesting.

I watch as pictures of Florida pop up on her screen, and a man begins explaining what each day of their trip will hold. As the meeting goes on, I can't help but admire the way Rylie effortlessly engages herself in the conversation. My eyebrows raise slightly in surprise when she moves a hand to my thigh, tracing the fabric of my sweats with her fingers. Two specific fingers.

When I meet her eyes a moment later, I watch as they darken slightly seconds before she shifts, uncrossing her legs. The movement catches my attention, and I swallow hard before meeting Rylie's heat filled gaze once more. She smirks as I raise an eyebrow, as if challenging me.

She can't want... I narrow my eyes as I watch Ry. During her meeting?

As if reading my mind, Rylie's smirk grows before she quietly moves her laptop to her knees, spreading her legs just slightly. Just enough. The movement confirms my thoughts, and I pull my lip between my teeth as I study her.