Chapter 49

** Pictures courtesy of Wikipedia and castle-finders.co.uk 

We entered into the bowels of the castle ruins, which were surprisingly intact to a large degree, and walked towards a sign with a rendering of the former place

We entered into the bowels of the castle ruins, which were surprisingly intact to a large degree, and walked towards a sign with a rendering of the former place. The history practically leapt off the metal at me. It was built in the 1350's by William, 1st Earl of Douglas. He did so to announce his arrival in Scottish politics. If that wasn't a huge 'look at me' I don't know what was! Men with their money. 

"If you had tons of money would you buy or build a castle?" Shane's blonde asked me. 

I had to stifle a laugh. IF. I wasn't a big millionaire, but I did have a few in the bank and growing every day. 

"Oh I don't think I'd build a castle. Though a beachside house would be a dream I want one day. Nothing too fancy. Just have access to the sand, you know?" I replied. 

She chatted with me about beaches as Shane and Trey talked off to the side. We walked into another castle area with signage. Turns out blondie had been to a few tropical locales and had surfed once or twice. Said it terrified her, thinking sharks were there in the ocean below her. I told her a few shark encounter stories just to hear her squeal. I loved talking about the ocean, it was my favorite place in the entire earth, next to London. 

"You two need to go out onto the ledge area." She said, pointing down towards a singular doorway. "Its extremely romantic. Shane and I will wander around some."

"Are you two more than friends?" I asked her, inquisitively

"I've slept with him before...when I first started working at the pub. But it never got far. He isn't the type to do relationships. Maybe one day though, he'll want to settle down." She said, giving me a wink. 

Maybe. She had a great shot, he seemed to like her enough to bring her along, even if it was at my suggestion. Riding in the car with someone for over an hour wasn't a small thing. I turned to find Trey and waved him to me as the blonde caught up to them and took Shane's hand. Trey had decided to commit. He wanted a relationship with me, and everyone had said he was a "player". Eventually, people grow up. We don't stay perpetually young and hot forever.