7

Boma's eyes lingered on the last line of the rule she had just read -

My girl must be at least, above average.

It increased her anxiety. She managed to control herself as her eyes traveled down to continue reading.

3.No unnecessary closeness with any guy. No flirting either.

4. No clubbing or partying without my knowledge or permission.

5. If you're traveling for the weekend to be with your family, I must be aware.

6. Don't even think of bagging an extra year in school. That means you can't fail an exam. Consider a C score, a fail. I will go through your test and examination results.

She slowly lifted her gaze and stole a glance at him. He was relaxed on the chair and engaged with his phone.

Unexpectedly, he lifted his eyes and met hers.

She returned hers to the rules and continued reading.

7. All-night reading at the theater is highly prohibited. Do your reading at the library or in your room.

8. Wear your ring at all times, especially around campus. That is one error you want to pray that you never make.

She fiddled with her left hand, trying to hide it beside her thigh. She was glad that he hadn't noticed.

9. Don't keep me in the dark about your personal challenges. I can't read your mind.

10. Take exercise and personal grooming seriously. Health is Wealth.

11. I don't tolerate misbehavior. (example, back talk, eye roll, engaging in fights, brawls, or cussing).

12. Observe the above rules and you will be fine.

Having reached the end, she looked at him and he returned his attention to her.

"Any questions?"

"Yes."

"I'm all ears."

"I'm not bright."

"I don't understand."

"Academically, I am fine with a pass."

He shook his head "ah ah. Don't give me that excuse. If you believe you're not bright, then you will act like it. Change that disposition and you will be fine. Okay?"

His words, though a bit rough were inspiring, but did nothing to stop her demeanor.

She lowered her eyes to her lap.

"I uh, I will try and pass my papers." She said and felt him lifting her chin and forcing her gaze back to his.

"A Point One's girl does not pass. She excels. I have a reputation to protect. Because of your current disposition, I will be a bit understanding. Hence, the least mark I will expect from you is a C. If you get anything below that, you will be in serious trouble. Am I clear?"

She nodded, feeling cornered. Even her parents had not given her this kind of tough time before. She was in serious trouble.

"Any other concerns?"

"My roommate goes for all-night reading. I may like to join her some time because she said everyone is inspired by seeing others studying."

"All night reading is not safe. This school is not such a secure place. If rivals want to hurt me, that theater is perfect for an attack."

"I will be careful."

"You can never be too careful. Do not go there. Use the library. Period. If I find out you ever did an all-night reading, after this warning, you will regret it. Any other question?"