1 || McKinley - Hi.

"Lucy!" someone shouted.

I turned around with such force that my backpack swung and hit someone in the face - and in vain, it seems, since it was only Lucianne Kurtis who was being called. Not the Lucy I know. Knew.

'Twas the last day of school. God, finally. I was moving a city over this summer; Lima. It was about 15 times bigger than Elida, where I currently resided. Mom got this job at a middle school there after being fired from the one in Elida due to budget cuts. She'd also been wanting to move nearer to her girlfriend in Lima for awhile now.

Now why was I so damn excited about moving? It's simple, really. With the 700 people at our high school - my high school - approximately all of them formerly bullied Lucy. Lucy was my... I was close to Lucy. Anyway, they bullied her for the nine years we'd been in school together. Until she left me with no goodbye.

Whatever. I'm over it. I'm just glad to move away from these assholes that are perceived as saints here. What a joke.

I didn't apologize to Avery Carter, whose face I had accidentally hit. I loathed her. I didn't look at Florence Hills, or Barry Sickamore, or Alex Wuesten as I passed them in the halls. They're the reason why Lucy felt terrible about herself for years. I heard them laughing in the background, and it made me feel sick because my instinct was to confront anyone who laughed at Lucy. And Lucy left.

After the stupid assembly activities, I made my way to my car. Taking one last look at the school, I reversed the hell out of there and went home.

----------------

Mom was packing up boxes when I got home. The place looked so empty, it was weird. I'd lived here my whole life. Well, I suppose I lived in Lima until I was three. Lucy, too, actually. Judy and Mom were pretty close. They met at this prenatal yoga class. Mom was only 21 at the time, and Judy was probably in her late-20s?

Anyway, Mom had me in November and Judy had Lucy in February. The rest is history.

Lucy switched schools the summer of 9th grade. She hadn't been as friendly as usual that year, with her whole "makeover," as she'd called it. For the record, I didn't think she needed one.

I hadn't heard from her after she switched schools. I would just go over to her house which was five minutes away by car, but I think she made it clear she was done with me. Mom still hung out with Judy, but didn't ask me if I wanted to come over anymore because I think she knew.

The last I'd heard about them was last week when Mom informed me that Judy and Russell had divorced and she'd kicked Russell out. I think she was hinting that I should go comfort Lucy. I didn't.

I have no clue what school she moved to, but Mom says it's not far. She's been encouraging me lately to rekindle our friendship, but I guess that's up to Lucy.

----------------

Summer passed in a blur of blue skies and sunny weather. It wasn't eventful, really, seeing as I was friendless. I'd spent the time unpacking, sketching art pieces, and singing. I love to sing. I love to play the piano as well, but we didn't have the money for one and I'd only learned because Lucy's family had one. Her older sister Frannie would sit with me and help me learn little by little how to play it every time I came over.

I think Frannie's married now, she moved out awhile ago. I hope she's living out her dreams instead of Russell's, now that he's out of their life. He pressured her and Lucy like hell. I never liked him much, so I'm rather glad he's out of the picture.

Today was the day. My first day at William McKinley High School. Woo.

Maybe I'd actually find a friend here. Doubtful, considering my only friend had ever been Lucy. I was now probably too wary for a friend. I just want to get high school over with, to be honest. I don't know what I'll do after but I sure as hell won't be a high school teacher.

I finished my delicious blueberry muffin and went back to my room, getting dressed and doing my morning rituals. It really wasn't that complicated; do my hair, brush my teeth, wash my face, and put on some light makeup.

After completing that on autopilot, not really registering what I was doing, I shrugged my backpack over my shoulder and walked out the door. I'd already said my farewells to Mom who had left for work early.

I'd only been to McKinley High once, to get my books, schedule, and map. I sort of remembered where it was but had my directions in front of me anyway just in case. Backing out, I drove to my new high school and arrived ten minutes early.

Good timing, I guess. I looked up at the sign reading "WILLIAM MCKINLEY HIGH SCHOOL" in grey. Yep, this is it. I removed the key from my car, grabbed my backpack, and hopped out.

I had memorized my locker number and combination, so I opened it with ease and shoved a few books in it that had been weighing it down. I slugged my backpack over my shoulders again and and studied the map to find out where the hell Geometry was. I'm not good with directions, so I wasn't counting on getting to class on time considering I only had probably five more minutes.

As I was walking, I nearly bumped into this guy standing in my way. I looked up irritatedly just as a cold sensation splashed over my face. Cherry slushy. "Welcome to McKinley High, loser!" he shouted, turning on his heel laughing.

I nonchalantly walked to the bathroom as some gave me odd looks. Using a paper towel, I began wiping the (what would have been a delicious) slushy off of my face. What a waste.

As the last of the slushy was cleaned off, I realized my white sweatshirt was stained. I quickly took it off and was left cold, embarrassed, and late to class.

Ten minutes too late, I found classroom A02 for Ms. Bletheim's Geometry class and strode in casually. I took a seat next to this goth-looking girl. Seems nice.

"Miss Callisto, you're a bit late, but it's okay since you're new and it's the first day and all. Just try to be on time tomorrow." I just nodded.

The girl next to me casually studied me. I could tell she was studying me because I did it a lot myself.

As the teacher handed out get-to-know-you sheets, I nonchalantly looked at her paper to see her name was Tina Cohen-Chang. I think she noticed because she copied me, reading my name: Maya Callisto. She gave me a sideways smile. Maybe I could sit by her at lunch. We spent the rest of the period whispering about our answers on the get-to-know you sheet and kind of having fun. Woah, having fun at school! That's a new one.

My next period was physical education with Ms. Beiste. I despised physical education. I reluctantly changed into my gym clothes and without a second glance, made my way out of the locker room.

I sat on the bleachers with the other students, not listening to the safety rules of our basketball unit because I was searching the class for no one in particular. I recognized one person - the boy who'd slushied me earlier. I made a mental note to get him back for that. I'm big on grudges.

I abruptly stopped my scanning, though, when my confused blue eyes met the scorching hazel ones of none other than Lucy Quinn Fabray.