8 || Oddities

Sunday was fine, and Monday was unusually okay, but the rest of the week was odd.

----------------

Tuesday

When I got to school that day, Tina informed me that Kurt's dad was in the hospital due to a heart attack. He was in a coma. They didn't know when he would wake up. Kurt and I weren't as close now as the first week of school, but we still talked now and again and this news really scared me.

People had been swarming him all day comforting him, and of course it was extremely kind of them, but I don't think they noticed the uncomfortable look on his face or how overbearing it might have been. And yes, he needed to accept the fact that his dad was in the hospital (he was trying to play it off as if everything was normal), but I think he also needed some familiarity.

This is why I simply followed along with his wishes. Though we weren't super close, I knew he needed a friend. So when he asked me to come to his house after school, I gladly came by.

However, when we heard some suspicious noises from his brother Finn's bedroom (Kurt said he was with his girlfriend, Rachel), we headed out to The Lima Bean.

While Kurt didn't want to talk about his dad, he did open up about some of the football players who had been harassing him after I talked about my whole thing with Karofsky.

He played it off as if it was nothing, but I think it was really getting to him. I made a promise to myself to do something about this, or get in touch with some adult who could.

----------------

Wednesday

Kurt's dad was still in the hospital. It was really taking a toll on him, I could tell.

I know he was only going to school to feign normalcy, but I still found it really brave of him. There was still the expected overload of comfort, not to mention how can you focus with something so ominous on your mind?

To be fair, I don't think he was paying much attention in class, but my point still stands.

2nd period - Gym - was an odd one. We'd just moved on from our basketball unit to weightlifting, and we needed to find a partner to spot us.

I can't tell if it was lucky or unlucky that Lucy Quinn Fabray walked up to me and requested that I be her partner.

Come on Lucy; why me, why now? We had to have partners during the basketball unit and she only partnered with me on the first day. Nobody had really "clicked" with me, so I just chose whatever random equally lonely person I happened to come across. Then, of course, we picked our teams, and then we were just a band of misfits.

It's not like I had much of a choice this time because most people had already chosen partners, but I don't know if I would've agreed had another person asked me as well.

I am really confused as to where we stand at the moment. She hasn't really talked to me since last Monday, but apparently she cornered Puck? And for some reason Karofsky is avoiding me, so that could be her doing too. And now she wants to be my partner. But she left me.

"You're going first, I'm tired," she said like we conversed on the daily.

No. I was going to make boundaries clear, and soon. She didn't get to do this again.

The class went fine, but it was hard to focus on lifting weights when she was standing right over me. I managed - barely.

After school, I dropped by the hospital to visit Kurt's dad with him. He wanted some company. He simply held his hand and we were there for an hour... or three? I don't know. It was nice, though. Peaceful and dark but optimistic, too.