29 || Letters to Lucy

I sat on our bed and admired the picture on our nightstand. Me and her, just smiling together. Not our wedding picture - those are always superficial. This one is from our high school days, when we'd attended Mr. Schue's and Ms. Pillsbury's wedding - which had actually gotten cancelled because she'd left him at the altar... but we'd still had fun.

That night we'd come back from Connecticut for a bit, and when the wedding was cancelled, we'd needed a reason to have come all this way in the first place. We'd spent some time with our friends, danced, and booked ourselves a hotel room. This picture was of us dancing, though - it was displayed for all to see.

That night, we'd also talked about marriage. Quinn had wanted an elegant wedding with a long gown. She'd wanted it to be in a church, and the color scheme would be white, light green, and pink. Santana - despite their ups and downs - would be her maid of honor. And she'd said the person she would wed would be me.

That was the moment I'd known I'd wanted to marry Lucy Quinn Fabray. I wasn't going to propose right then and there, of course - I'd needed a ring first.

I'm kidding. I was going to wait until Quinn was finished with college. I was not going to college... something Amanda Callisto was rather upset about. Hell, even Puck was going to college.

I hadn't liked thinking of the future. I'd been a blank canvas with no inspiration, so to say. I still have that stupid shirt from glee club that says "NO IDEA" on it, which is a true insecurity to this day. Most of the time I feel like I'm a fraud, so I guess not much has changed in that sense.

Quinn had known what she'd wanted. She was going to finish her major in law at Yale and become a lawyer. When anyone had asked what I'd wanted, I tried to direct the conversation in the stable direction of Quinn, which she'd noticed.

She'd confronted me about it one day. "Maya," she'd said. "What do you want to be when you grow up?"

I'd said, "I don't know."

"Obviously," she'd replied. "You need to get serious about this, though. I'm going to Yale, Maya. An Ivy League school. I don't care that you're not, I just don't want you to feel like you need to live in my shadow forever. A barista job for a small business will only get you so far."

"I want to do something on my own," I'd said.

"That's a start. Like owning a business?"

"Like making something."

"Art?"

"Do you know how general the term 'art' is, Quinn?" I asked sarcastically.

"Have you thought about college? It would be a good starting place. I know some really good community colleges are around here."

"I guess... I don't know, I've never really wanted to go to college."

"I know."

I'd sighed. "I'll sleep on it."

"Glad I could help," she'd said, giving me a peck on the lips.

And that's how I ended up as the art teacher at McKinley High School. It's a nice job; I don't exactly get paid a lot, but Quinn brings in a pretty steady income for us.

She became a lawyer, of course - a very successful one, I may add. Her ambition finally had a productive outlet.

I'd proposed to Quinn after I had transferred to a college to get a teaching degree and was sure of myself for once. Puck had helped me pick out the ring, Kurt had helped organize the wedding, and everything had gone perfectly as planned, somehow.

Puck was now in a band that was fairly successful - they'd opened for Twenty One Pilots and Adele on separate occasions, and I have to admit they were pretty good. Every once in a while they'd let Quinn or I (sometimes both) sing with them when we were around. Puck was married to Lauren Zizes, and they had no children because the two had agreed Beth was enough.

Speaking of children... Quinn and I had adopted two kids. After a minor argument about me not wanting to deal with babies and her never wanting to give birth again, we had decided on a compromise, so we adopted a pair of siblings - a 5-year-old and a 9-year-old. Their names are Jesse (the sassy five-year-old boy) and May (the imaginative, ambitious 9-year-old girl).

Kurt had married Blaine in a joint wedding with Brittany and Santana, and he was now a costume designer for Broadway. Blaine was an aspiring actor; he'd booked a gig or two, but they were very small roles. Kurt was very supportive of him, though, and did everything he could to encourage his husband. The couple were about a month away from having children, too; Rachel was their surrogate.

Richard was unmarried, but dating Becky Jackson. They had gotten back together after a few years broken up. He was the drummer for Puck's band, who had finally realized after high school how awesome Richard was after three years of knowing him in glee club.

Alan was a baker by day and a bassist for Puck's band by night - oh, and by the way, the band's name was "Nothing Much," based on a reply I once made to Puck that he thought was catchy. Alan's love life was a mystery to me at the moment, but I knew it wouldn't be for long because the annual glee club reunion was coming up. We had one for the original glee clubbers up to 2012, and a separate one for everyone after.

Beth was now ten and she was a fifth grader. We had a weekly dinner with her, Shelby, Puck, Lauren, Quinn, and I. She was shaping up to look just like Quinn, but she had her father's witty remarks and Shelby's confidence.

Spending time with Beth often made me think of when Quinn and I were her age - well, maybe a little older; when we'd spent that summer together. I still have the letters I wrote. I keep them in a box with all my social security information and birth certificates.

When I look back on them, the letters seemed pretty stupid and I realized that I was completely obsessed with her; both then and now.

On the day of our original glee club reunion that year, we were pulling out pictures of us and the glee club and yearbooks to show everyone. I decided to pull out that box.

So I finally opened my heart and showed all my letters to Lucy.