25 || She's So Pretty It Hurts

Prom is today...

I curled my hair, thinking of Quinn Fabray as I did so. I put on my makeup meticulously. I slipped on my sleek black dress. Put on my silver heels (pray for me). Dangly silver earrings. And all the while, I simply imagined how lovely it will be to dance with Quinn Fabray tonight.

I was set to leave in about five minutes when there was a knock on the door. I rushed over to open it, embarrassed to be all formal when it was probably someone selling their lawn mowing service. Who I did not expect, however, was my girlfriend.

"Quinn?" I asked, shocked.

"Hey." She was carrying a box. She caught me eyeing it. "Oh, this?" She opened the lid. "It's a corsage. Here." I had to do a reality check. Am I dreaming? "Are... you okay?" she asked.

"Oh, yeah, yeah. Just not expecting you to pick me up." ... Not to mention how her beauty left me speechless.

She made Cinderella look like the ugly duckling; Her dress was blue and sparkly; She had dangly silver earrings with a matching silver ring on her middle finger; Her hair was curled to perfection - and don't get me started about her face. She's so pretty it hurts.

"Well, Finn figured he'd rather go with Rachel, Sam, and Jesse. Guessing it's just to babysit the latter. He's quite the jealous type." I snapped back to reality, laughing a little at this comment.

Puck ran downstairs hurriedly and almost bumped into us on the way out. He tried to casually lean his arm on the banister, but it just looked awkward. "Hey ladies. Well... Lauren's outside waiting for me!" He rushed outside.

"PICTURES!" My mom yelled, camera in hand and Allison in tow.

"NOAH PUCKERMAN, GET YOUR ASS BACK HERE!" Allison shouted. He walked in reluctantly, followed by Lauren.

Our moms took some pictures of each couple respectively, some all together, some of just me and Puck, then we were shooed out because my mom insisted we were going to be late.

We arrived, showing our school IDs to a parent supervisor. Then we walked into the rather crowded gymnasium and admired the scenery. It looked like some sort of star theme - the wall on the back of the stage had lights that looked like an array of stars and there were lit-up star shapes in different places, as well as cardboard stars. There were lights dangling on the ceiling too, balloons, curtains, it was amazing.

Quinn grabbed my hand with her own and squeezed it, letting go afterward. "Don't you have to go dance with Finn?" I asked her.

"Eh, that was just for the campaign. Voting's over now."

"Hey! Maya!" Richard approached us, holding hands with Becky. "Wow, you look fantastic! And hey Quinn!"

"Hi Richard," she said curtly.

"You look beautiful," Becky said to the both of us.

"We're gonna go get on the dance floor now - hope you'll join us!"

I looked at Quinn. "We don't have to dance if you feel uncomfortable.

She closed her eyes and took a deep breath in, slowly letting it out and opening her eyes. "This is why I took you to prom." She looked around nervously, sighing. "Let's do it. Dance with me, Maya." She held her hand out for me and I took it happily. She unexpectedly spun me around, bringing me out onto where the others were dancing.

"It's Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday

Everbody's looking forward to the weekend, weekend"

...

She grabbed both my hands and we swayed back and forth playfully, laughing and smiling at each other as we danced around. Once the beautiful tribute to my favorite day of the week ended, the boys wrapped up and were soon after replaced by Rachel with a rather slow song.

"I know I can't take one more step towards you

'Cause all that's waiting is regret"

...

Quinn wrapped her hands around my neck and I wrapped my hands around her waist, sliding naturally with her body. We swayed to the music. A couple next to us gave us a weird look and giggled, but we ignored them.

"Who do you think you are?

Runnin' 'round leaving scars

Collecting your jar of hearts

Tearing love apart"

...

We swayed more, smiling all the while.

"Who do you think you are?"

As the song ended, Quinn kissed me. It was the most validating, happy experience in my entire life - despite some more people eyeing us. I love her so much.

----------------

Throughout prom, Finn had been staring at Rachel. Like literally just staring. He looked so sad that I felt bad for the guy. Then he started a fight with Jesse, whose name Quinn informed me of (who the hell is this guy?) and they both got kicked out. Rachel looked pretty distraught.

I sang a duet with Kurt at one point and Quinn did backup for Mercedes on her solo. A few hours flew by filled with dancing, drinking punch, and eating, then just like that Figgins was calling up the nominees for junior prom king and queen. Guess Finn's out of the running...

I looked at Quinn and gave her a thumbs up, which she returned with a nervous smile.

"Roll the drum please." Richard did a drum roll. "This year's junior prom king is..." I crossed my fingers. Please don't be Karofsky... "Noah Puckerman!"

"Woo!" Puck shouted, doing a little spin. Lauren clapped extra hard for her boyfriend, but Santana was frowning and Quinn looked very upset - if only she knew.

"Now, your 2011 McKinley High prom queen..." I smiled at Quinn and she gave a little smile back. "Is... miss Quinn Fabray." Quinn covered her mouth in awe as a crown was put on her head and a scepter placed in her hand. She looked like she was about to cry from happiness.

But... not everyone clapped. Some were whispering and talking like there was some secret. I tried to listen in on someone's conversation by backing up a little.

"...to make Kurt queen. I thought we put enough in!"

"Apparently not."

"Well dammit."

I sucked up my anger. Good thing I rigged the votes, I guess. I was taking both these secrets to the grave: that Kurt almost humiliatingly became prom queen, and that I cheated to make Quinn win.

"Maya!" she yelled, running up to me and kissing me. I smiled into the kiss, the happiest I've been in my 17 years of life.

Figgins tapped the mic, interrupting us. "I know you enjoy kissing your partners, but we must proceed with the tradition of our 2011 prom king and queen dance."

"I object!" yelled Lauren. "I think Quinn would much rather dance with her girlfriend, and personally, I'd like to dance with my man. So excuse us."

I hesitated. "You heard the woman," Quinn said with a smile, dragging me onto the dance floor with Lauren and Puck.

"You can dance

You can jive

Having the time of your life"

...

We ended our junior prom dancing to Santana and Mercedes' cover of Dancing Queen, throwing balloons around and having a blast. At the very end we took a picture together where Quinn and I had rested our heads together and were smiling as widely as one could.

And the only thing I could think of was how much I loved Quinn Fabray.