13 || To Heal

When we attempted to walk into Sue's office, Becky refused and told us we needed an appointment. We went in anyway.

"Becky, I said not to let anyone in without an appointment-" she looked up at us, sliding her glasses off. "Good lord! What happened to you kids?" I don't know what I looked like, but my face and arm stung. When nobody answered she sighed heavily and said, "Take a seat." There were only two seats in front of her desk, so Karofsky and I sat there while Quinn, Kurt, and Schue sat on the couch by the wall.

That's when Finn burst through the door. I was wondering why Kurt's step-brother hadn't been with us, when I realized he'd probably been late to glee club, a common occurrence. I guess I sort of had a step-brother too, since Puck's mom and my mom might be married if gay marriage were legalized. But I know he didn't really care. (The feeling is mutual.)

"What..." he trailed off as Karofsky and I turned around. He studied our faces, but his eyes were now trained on Karofsky. I looked over too and in my panicked state I hadn't realized his face was bleeding...

Somewhere during it someone must've given him a paper towel, which he was holding on his cheek. It was leaking blood. I guess I really had gotten him with my nails.

It was sort of funny, because I can imagine someone asking Karofsky if he got attacked by a mountain lion and him replying, "No, a girl." I reflexively touched my face in search of blood, but found none. I think I was probably just bruised.

"Si' down, Frankenteen, and you two - tell me what the hell happened!"

"I'll start," I said sharply before Karofsky could start spewing lies. "Karofsky's been harassing Kurt for weeks. He's told me about it and I've witnessed it. firsthand tons, and I know you guys have too," I said, directing my comment towards Mr. Schue, Quinn, and Finn. Their silence bothered me for some reason.

"Continue, please," Sue pushed.

"Well, today I saw him talking to Kurt, so naturally I confronted him. He threatened to kill Kurt. And... after that, we got in a fight... I think." No matter how much I wanted to help Kurt, I wasn't going to get caught lying when I literally don't know what happened.

"Whaddaya mean, 'you think'?"

"Well, I... hit him first, but I don't know if he hit back-"

"Oh, he hit back alright," Quinn said with an annoyed edge to her voice. "If it were self-defense, he could've pushed you off easily with his strength. But he just kept fighting and so did you."

There was a pause as everyone tried to process this newfound information.

Karofsky shifted in his chair uncomfortably. "Can I tell my side-"

Everyone ignored Karofsky. "Ah, I see. I'll have to make a call to your parents and we'll decide what to do together. Stay put in here, you three," Sue gestured to Kurt, Karofsky and I.

Quinn, Finn, and Schue didn't leave for whatever reason. I don't know if they were there for the drama, emotional support, or both. As Sue called Burt, Karofsky's dad (who I learned was named Paul), and my mom (Amanda), the atmosphere grew uncomfortable. It was basically just Karofsky that made it this way.

So, once Sue was finished making her calls and announced they'd probably all be here in less than 15 minutes, I got up and sat on the couch across from the one Finn, Kurt, and Schue were sitting on; Quinn was on the one I chose. Karofsky stayed in his seat across from Sue.

We made light conversation, trying to distract ourselves a little.

As promised, our parents had arrived within 15 minutes. Sue refused to explain the situation at hand before they all got there, at risk of having to repeat herself three times.