T W E N T Y - F O U R

Moscow, Russia

N I K O L A I

Her words had been echoing inside my head on repeat for the last three days, and I couldn't drown them out no matter what I did. It was almost like she had branded her heartache on my flesh and no matter what I did, it was there to stay. The tears leaving her serpentine eyes fed the poison inside my soul, but I knew that every time I became the reason behind her tears, the splinters battered my heart just the same. To think about letting go of my cantankerous rage was the same as watching an old friend die, and I didn't know which one was worse. I'd missed her far longer than I'd had the chance to love her and it appeared that I'd lost myself when I was busy grieving for someone who'd left. Now I'd spent months hating her when every fiber of my being had started protesting against the lies I'd been telling. I wanted to love her, but the art of feeling anything but rage always eluded me, almost like an open book with ink running out of its pages, making a masterpiece, however, one that no one could read. It appeared I was keeping secrets, and from myself at that. Perhaps, we were both liars, I just couldn't decide which one of us told the lie that'd killed us. I'd never gotten a funeral for her, couldn't bring myself to think about it, however, I'd attended the funeral of my love for her every day since. I just didn't know it at the time.

It wasn't easy to make up my mind, but if we were to get somewhere with whatever twisted thing it was between us, I knew I would have to let her in, even if it meant giving her the power to hurt my bleeding heart worse than she had before.

Deciding it was time we talked and lay our cards on the table, I walked towards her room, unaware that I might've been a little too late for that.

"Keira, we need to talk." The darkness inside the room was a surprise since Keira always liked to keep it bright, and if not anything, she at least had the bedside lamp turned on.

"I was wondering, are there any nice swimming pools around?"

"Kyzer." I cleared my throat as I turned the lights on, coming face to face with the face of my brother-in-law, "what a pleasant surprise."

"I know," he grinned, and I fought the urge to roll my eyes because the fucker knew I didn't mean it, "You have yet to answer my question though." He pointed as he got rid of his leather jacket, throwing it on the arm-chair.

"I find it hard to believe that you came all the way here for a swim."

"I'm not here to swim." I arched my brow, pocketing my hand, "I was merely wondering so I could throw you in one."

I chuckled, "It's a futile attempt to kill me."

"I'd be more creative if I wanted you dead," Kyzer snickered, "this is for shits and giggles, mate."

My hand fisted in my pocket as I found a place to sit, fully aware no conversation with this motherfucker was short.

"I don't have time for shits and giggles, Kyzer." Remembering the conversation I'd overheard between him and Keira, I knew he was the reason behind Keira's absence. "Now, where is my wife."

"Somewhere you don't need to be," Kyzer flicked his fingers as he walked towards the mini-fridge, and opened it. He took a peek inside and closed it just as fast as he'd opened it, finally turning to me, his fucking grin intact.

"You don't get to decide that,"

"Considering that you don't know and I do, I think it's very much my call if you should be aware."