T H I R T Y - O N E

K E I R A

Chicago, USA

It was impossible to comprehend everything that was happening around me, and then there was Niko, laying with his head in my lap, wheezing, his face twisted in pain. My blood ran cold, and while I'd been afraid of many things in my life, I'd never felt fear like this omnipotent presence at my back, pushing me towards an abyss. Almost like the little monster was creating a mirage inside my head for all the ways pain laid ahead for me. Nikolai whimpered, and I looked at his beautiful face, which had started going grey.

"No..." I leaned forward to apply pressure on his wound, but the blood kept oozing from his side, and I looked at Kyzer, waiting for him to say something.

"He doesn't have long, Kyzer." Angelo cajoled, "Unless you want her to suffer, I suggest you agree. And don't forget, the next bullet will hit her."

Kyzer stared at me, his gaze apologetic, and I shook my head, tears flowing freely from my eyes.

"Fine." Kyzer walked towards us, and helped me get Nikolai up. "I'll fucking marry your daughter. But only if he lives."

"Oh, he'll live." Angelo nodded at his men, and they helped Kyzer take Nikolai to Kyzer's car.

I sat in the backseat with Niko, his head in my lap, praying that he made it. I'd once believed I could live without him, but now that I'd just gotten him back after years of pretending that the perfection I'd once held in the palm of my hand was only fictional, I didn't think I could survive the slow bites of longing in my soul.

They say every blessing is also a curse in disguise, I'd never thought more of the saying, but now, sitting in the backseat of a car with Nikolai bleeding, I could see the truth behind the words. After all, loosing the greatest blessing could come with an everlasting pain, which then became the curse of the living.

I didn't bother wiping away my tears, running my hands through his hair instead. Nikolai coughed, his eyes opening, and I wiped away my tears frantically, but nothing could stop them.

"You have to promise you'll stay with me, Niko."

He coughed, "If..." his words broke as his features distorted with pain, and it felt like someone was squeezing my heart in their hands. I moved my hand to his neck, my fingers right above his pulse, "Keira. Sweetheart... Don't be like me. I—"

"No, stop." I pressed my finger against his lips, "Save your energy. And I'll ask again when you're better."

"Find.... someone...." The words died on his lips, and his eyes fluttered close, and he stilled.

I blinked, unsure if this was indeed happening, and I twisted my head towards Kyzer in the driving seat.

"You need to do something! You said this wouldn't happen, Ky!"

I was screaming at this point, however, I felt like I was floating in an abyss with nothing to anchor me, and it was as scary as it was depressing.

"We're here." Kyzer hit the brakes in front of the emergency gates of the hospital, and after that it was all a blur of doctors asking for details, and waiting.

So much waiting.

I sat in front of the operating room, waiting for anyone to come out with information. My clothes had blood on them, and so far I'd refused when they'd suggested I get my own wounds looked at. Kyzer came and sat beside me, placing his hand on my shoulder,

"Go and get checked." He whispered like he was talking to a child, "wear some clean clothes. I'll stay here."

"I don't want to leave him, Kyzer..."