T W O

N I K O L A I

Moscow, Russia

It would probably be my lifelong struggle to siphon the misery into something else, but then again, maybe I never tried hard enough for her memory was what sustained me; even though it was an empty existence. One that I'd been struggling to fill with adrenaline and authority to do whatever I damn well pleased.

I got out of the steaming shower with one goal in my mind that was to deal with my new drug merchant and forget about everything else weighing on my soul. My legal pursuits weren't completely facing closure. I still owned my telecommunications company, but I no longer was its CEO since my days were busy with different endeavors—ones that included bloodshed and everything a normal person would find repulsive.

Sighing, I reached for my midnight blue tailored fit suit and steel grey button-up. Removing the towel on my waist, I dropped it on the ground and pulled my boxers up followed by the pants. I buttoned the shirt, tucked it in, and buckled the black leather finished belt. Leaving the top two buttons open, I took my Valentino cologne and sprayed it on, the niche incense instantly threatened to pull me back into her memories. As it once again held me to the test, I shrugged her thoughts off, focusing on the burns from the scalding hot shower instead, making me ditch the necktie for today. Slicking my jet-black hair back, I took a seat on the small settee to put on my shoes. Finishing up, I slid the jacket over my shoulders, and stepped out of the wardrobe into my bedroom, and back into the corridor where surprisingly Alexei was already waiting for me.

I arched my brow at him, questioning him before we settled into a step towards the dining room.

"Cожалею(sorry), Nik, Irina was doing my head in." He shrugged, pinching the bridge of his nose at his wife's antics. Irina to me was like a little sister, I gained a family I never deserved the day I saved her—them. I didn't even know why I'd killed the men holding her and Alexei hostage, I hadn't asked him about his past, just like he didn't ask about mine. We both had regrets, mistakes that weighed us down, but I was the only one visibly suffering. Which was okay, I wouldn't wish the way I crashed and burned every night on anyone.

"She has that effect on people," I let out a low chuckle just as we stepped inside the large dining hall Irina had taken the privilege to decorate. Upon hearing us, she stopped drumming her fingers on the table and whipped her head in our direction, her eyes narrowing at her husband's figure.

"Удачи," Good luck. I mumbled and went to take my seat on the table.

Ignoring their banter, I focused on my food, trying to eat before Nina turned her attention to me. I admired Alexei's courage to deal with this troublemaker all day, but I wasn't entitled to, then again, love was blind after all.

---

Finishing up, I pushed my chair back and got up, nodding at Alexei and Nina. I turned my back and started walking towards my study, knowing I didn't have to remind Alexei that we had a meeting with a new dealer since the previous one conveniently died in a car accident last night.

I knew the top was a lonely place, and I'd learned to hear whispers in my sleep, to doubt everyone who has ever shaken hands with me. I might be hell-bent on tempting death, but I still hadn't lost my mind—it was all calculatingly done, one word from me and anyone who thought they were resilient enough to beat me at my own game ended up dead in unmarked graves and unidentified corpses. The fact that someone was always waiting patiently, biding their time to overthrow me, wasn't lost on me, so I allowed my madness and repute to harbor the same fate as I continued maneuvering every game in my favor.