F I V E

N I K O L A I

Moscow, Russia

I was driving with Ivan, glad that Alexei was in the other one with Irina, the fucker had messed up with my necktie, and now I was stuck wearing the one Keira gave me. She used to like it when I wore grey, I was never fond of the color; I wouldn't even own anything in this shade if it wasn't for her. But I did, and Alexei's fuck up with the mask had been the reason I had to switch to this necktie. I fought the urge to loosen its grip around my neck as memories suffocated me, and for the first time, I was tired. She was a ghost, always there, but never real enough for me to feel her warmth or sneak a kiss like I used to. She surrounded me like a vice, a habit I couldn't even hide in the darkness that was now my life, and I just needed her gone. Wanted her to stop haunting me.

Misery was the venom in my veins, killing me slowly, but I'd stopped feeling pain long ago, now all I wanted was to silence the void inside me, and be free of her memory, even if I wanted to kill myself for the thought of forgetting her.

"You okay?" Ivan's voice broke through the thick fog inside my head and I forced myself to relax before I turned my head towards him.

"Yes," I shifted in my seat, trying to keep my hand resting slackly on my thighs. "Where's my mask?" Ivan motioned at a box in the back, and I reached for it from my seat.

Securing my hand around the box, I straightened in my seat and got rid of the lid, sighing in relief when I noticed that it was a metallic silver wolf mask that'd cover nearly all of my face. I picked the mask up and secured it around my head just as the car came to a stop in front of Smirnov's mansion. Ivan lifted the locks, and I opened the door, stepping out on the tarmac. I noticed another Mercedes-Benz pull up behind mine, and straightened when Alexei got out, followed by Irina as he threw the keys towards the valet.

"Don't scratch my car, and you'll go home a rich man. I suppose I don't need to tell you what happens if you do..." He gave the valet a sinister grin as Irina linked her fingers with his, and they came up to me.

"Was that really necessary?" I motioned towards the guy Alexei had just subtly threatened as we started walking towards the double-doors leading inside the mansion.

"You know him, always a little extra," Irina slapped his shoulder playfully but stiffened when Smirnov turned our way, ready to welcome us. Her fear of strangers still dominated her actions around people she didn't know, but she'd slowly been getting better, and I couldn't be more proud.

I took his outstretched hand even if I was known for never shaking on it. It was his party, and I wouldn't cause a scene here even if he knew I could crush him like an insect.

"Smirnov," I nodded.

"Chernov," He responded, but leaned towards my ear, and whispered, "I've got a wide collection for you to choose from, my friend."

I suppressed the urge to blow his brains out, nodded at him one last time, and walked away with Alexei and Irina hot on my tail. Ivan was probably already looking for his next conquest. Alexei fell into step beside me, "Why didn't you put him in his place?"

"I wanted to be incognito tonight, I'd put him in his place before the night is over," I tilted my head, not bothering to hide my grin. Satisfied with my response, Alexei nodded, "Now go, enjoy the night with your wife. I'll get myself a drink."

"I'll just mingle with these self-entitled bastards, and see if The Pentagon shows up."

"You do that, make sure you don't point anyone my way, or say my name." Alexei nodded and turned away just as I made my way to the bar, and got seated. I didn't have to worry about him fucking up, he was well acquainted with our plan, and damn good at what we did.