T W E N T Y - N I N E

A couple of you were asking where you could reach me, and you can always find me on Twitter, and I talk about my books more often on there, it's @/furysillyana
K E I R A
Las Vegas, USA

We'd been driving for the past fifteen hours, and while they had gone by uneventfully, I knew that would change now that darkness had settled in and the traffic on the highway had gotten scarce. It wasn't even the leaden taste of fear at the back of my throat that had my hackles rising; it was the knowledge that they were coming for us. Nikolai had talked me through Kyzer's master plan; however, I couldn't shake the feeling that the ghosts chasing us would just be gone after that.

It just didn't seem realistic at all.

"Fuck." Nikolai mumbled under his breath, freeing his hand from mine as his eyes danced between the side mirrors frantically.

I turned around, counting the number of headlights behind us, "It's five that I can make out."

Nikolai nodded before flooring the accelerator, sending the car flying. I took my gun in my hand and got into position, waiting for them to take the first shot. Nikolai had his own Eagle in his hand as he steered the car on the asphalt. One of the SUVs drove next to us, and then its window rolled down before a gun barrel became visible, and I stiffened, aiming. Nikolai brought his own window down, nodding at me, and I pressed the trigger, shooting the fucking driver in the side of his head. The SUV swerved before going off the road and toppling over.

One down.

The others became more frantic after that, raining bullets on us, and I crouched low in my seat. My eyes met Nikolai's, and for a second, I wanted to just keep staring at his eyes. I checked my mag and then loaded my bullets and focused on aiming at the other car right behind ours, blowing its tires off. The third car rammed us in the back, and I jerked forward, barely keeping my head from hitting the dashboard.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." I turned my head to Nikolai, who was clenching his jaw, his eyes trained on his side view mirror as he swerved the car to the side. My head jerked towards the window, and I placed my hand on the window to soften the impact.

Meanwhile, Nikolai was busy swerving away from the other vehicle trying to crash into us. I kept my eyes towards the back screen and watched as the SUVs parted, making way for a black Lamborgini, its lights blinding.

"Niko, they're making way for a Lamborgini." My voice was shakier than I'd wanted, and Nikolai eyed his side-view mirror.

"Fuck." His eyes met mine, and the look in them should have scared me half to death; however, when he tilted his head, I nodded and opened my window.

I'd placed the barrel of my gun at the edge, aiming behind us while I kept my eyes on the side-view mirror, and when Nikolai moved the car to the overtaking lane, I pulled the trigger just as he said,

"Now."

The shot echoed in the space around us. However, when none of the cars behind us seemed to have slowed down, I knew I'd missed the driver.

"Shit." My teeth sank into my lower lip as I tried to get the third car's driver, but there was no visual. I couldn't take him out.

"It's fine. Blow the tires off." Nikolai murmured, and I did just that, without any mistake this time.

It was hard to hear anything beyond the beating of my heart inside my chest, but I managed to take three out while Nikolai kept us on the road. Still racing against the wind, with trouble chasing after us in the rear-view mirror. Nikolai didn't take the next exit off the highway, running straight ahead on the road; the darkness only lit up momentarily by the golden headlights of the car.