T W E N T Y - F I V E

Las Vegas, USA

K E I R A

I'd been trying not to think about him ever since I'd left Moscow, and while I'd been successful at ignoring his thoughts that crept into my head when I least expected it, today, I couldn't help but wonder if he'd at least missed having me around. I'd gotten rid of one of the pen drives Kyzer wanted, and tonight if all went according to plan, I'd be able to take care of the other one, and while I wanted this done with, I was also scared to go back to my life and find that he still hated me.

I didn't want to fool myself any more than I already had, so I'd made up my mind to stay away from Nikolai because being close to him was a constant reminder of all my mistakes. Mistakes that he refused to look past and omissions that were too painful for me to face now. Being close to him was like standing beside the sun, knowing it would burn you to nothing and only leave some ashes if you were lucky.

Pushing these thoughts aside, I zipped up my silver sequin dress and stepped into my silver strappy heels. I'd been waiting for Kyzer's message, informing me that our target was at the casino and had enjoyed a couple of drinks. Once my phone pinged, I knew it was go time. I picked my clutch from the dresser, and looked at myself one last time in the mirror, making sure, the wig was still intact on my head.

It wasn't a long ride down in the elevator, and once I'd stepped foot inside the casino, I hadn't been able to spot him, probably because he was in a private salon, and I hadn't yet met my ticket in. I understood the charm of casinos. However, most times when I stepped into one, all that glamour just made me sad. Men and women dressed to the nines sat here, seduced into destitution by the mere idea of money. I'd ordered myself a Gin and Tonic and was quietly sitting on the bar when a man dressed in a black suit slid beside me and asked for a lemonade. While the bartender was preparing his order, he looked at me and smiled. I arched a brow, having an idea about who he may be.

"I'm Theo,"
"The thief," I marveled, and he nodded,
"The one and only," He took a sip from his drink and placed it back, "do you have your story straight?"
"Of course," I drank my remaining drink in one go and ordered another; however, Theo stopped me.

"You'll need your wits about you,"
"I can handle a drink,"
"That's what your brother usually said before getting shitfaced," He shrugged, getting me water instead, and I wondered about his connection with my brother because I sure as fuck didn't know this man other than the rumors I'd heard or the little Kyzer had told me.

Theo was handsome with his dark wavy hair that looked like he'd run his fingers through them one too many times and were a contrast against his otherwise dapper appearance. His green eyes, rimmed with black, and the beard covering his face made him appear quite easy on the eyes, though the expression itself nearly made me laugh because one thing that I'd learned by now was that the darkness doesn't appear black. It had its home in all the shiny and pretty things.

"He helped me hide a body," Theo clarified, and my eyes widened at his perceptive answer to a question I hadn't even asked. "Now, you won't be able to figure me out in a few minutes, so so I suggest you drop it, and we stop wasting more time,"

"I just might," I shrugged, getting off the stool and waiting for Theo, who kept his hand on my back as he led me to where Ian Miller would be gambling like a fawn waiting to be skinned. In this case, I would be doing all the metaphorical skinning, of course.

Once we'd stepped inside, all four of the other men in the salon turned to look at Theo, and as he took his seat beside someone else, he strategically left me to sit next to Ian Miller.

"Gentlemen, this is my client, Scarlett Jameson. I hope you'll welcome my guest warmly." Theo introduced me as I sat down and placed my clutch in my lap. I nodded at the men as they introduced themselves, except for the dealer, who didn't need any introduction sitting across the table. I didn't pay attention to any names except the one of the man sitting to my right, the only person who had something I needed.