T H R E E

K E I R A

Warsaw, Poland.

I scoffed hearing Maxim's epic plan to get us all killed. Clearly, he was underestimating a man who built everything from the scratch in eight short years when we'd been busy rebuilding the legacy that was left broken all those years ago to the best of our abilities.

"Enough," I slammed my hand against the table, the water inside my glass had a shake as four pairs of eyes looked my way. "Zavod, you have an excellent plan to throw everyone under the bus. Chernov will come after us if he finds a single reason to doubt us..."

"And we have only managed to sort through the wreckage our parents left behind," Kyzer finished for me as I gave him a thankful glance.

We might be the ring leaders, but I couldn't count on anyone to have my back here except Kyzer, he was my twin after all. Given half the chance, they would try to eliminate us. It was a known fact that no one liked sharing, and power corrupted, so the more powerful we became, the more skeptical I got. These so-called friends weren't friends, but saying otherwise would be asking for more enemies so I stayed silent.

With the Pentagon, you were either with them or against them, and resisting them only ended in mayhem. That was the only reason I'd returned to claim my seat at this treacherous table. My heart fractured as memories played through the cracks like a deviant song, reminding me of what I did—what I lost.

I knew Maxim wanted me, but I despised him. He was an asshole, he wanted me to secure two votes for himself when his avarice eventually took over, and he decided to shed his deceitful skin. Well, he could dream, he could wish he had me, but there was only one man in this world who did, and he thought I was dead. I hadn't gone looking for him, no one knew about him. He was my secret, and I would guard it with my life because my loose lips would result in his blood being spilled. Perhaps the only knowledge that as long as I kept my distance, he'd be under the same midnight sky as me, was what kept me going.

"What do you propose we do?" Maria cut in, leaning forward as she reached for her husband's hand on the table. "We've already agreed to pay him a visit, which must I add is a ridiculous move."

"Not exactly, if we show our will to bend our rules, Chernov might let his pride get ahead of him and leave us with an opening." I tried my best to maintain my poker face, but it was hard. Fuck, Chernov's name reminded me of Niko. They shared the same first name, but they were so different, my Niko was the only gentleman I'd ever known who also knew how to be rogue. He was perfect, I cursed everyone for making me give up on my life away for this.

Alas, it was no one's fault. I was sworn to this life before I was even born, I couldn't leave. Abandoning the syndicate meant a life of looking over my shoulder, and I was no coward. I might've been a woman, but I had more balls than most men.

"I think the motherfucker plans to humiliate after inviting us in his stronghold." Jacob straightened, tracing his jaw as Maria ran her fingers over his suited arm, adding to this conversation for the first time. Jacob was the silent member, silent, but deadly. He preferred killing his victims with a clean shot to the head much like his wife. For him, the knife was too personal. Kyzer and I, we relished in the feel of blood on our hands, and the scent of fear in the air. Maxim was a fucking cunt, who preferred keeping his three-piece suit clean. 

"Well, then we listen to each one of his threats and use that as ammunition when we spin the tables on him." Kyzer motioned with his hand, crossing his legs as he leaned back in the plush leather chair, looking bored, his polished shoe almost touching the edge of the glass coffee table.