N I N E

N I K O L A I

Moscow, Russia

Keira entered the penthouse, and I smirked at her unfocused gaze, she thought she was one step ahead of me, but she didn't know I was no longer the man she was trying to predict. Keira was playing a game she knew no rules of, and how could she, when I changed them as I pleased.

It really would be a shame to watch blood pour out of her, except that she was the one who made her bed, she was the one who started this wicked game drenched in mayhem, but now that I knew the players, I'd also decided who would be the one kneeling in the end.

And it wouldn't be me. Not this time.

Even in the darkness of the room, I could make out the tightening of her muscles as she stared out of the floor-length window towards the night sky. It was surprising how relaxed she was in this place, she didn't look around when she'd entered, and I'd take immense pleasure tainting her safe haven for her.

"I have to say, you surprised me, little wolf." I began as I stood up from the couch I'd made myself comfortable on, "I expected you to run, Keira, so I could chase you. After all, I have been watching you for days."

She stilled, surprising me again, I'd hoped she'd run, heck she should've if she knew what was good for her. There was no sign of fear on her face, just mild surprise, and it pissed me off. More than I'd like to admit. Meeting her sinisterly blank gaze, I started taking predatory steps in her direction, and finally, she took a step back. I took another one forward, and she took one back. She didn't stop until her back hit the glass, and I smirked. It was about time she realized she had nowhere to run, no place to hide, and her life was mine.

"How did you know I didn't leave? I—" Words fell from her mouth before she could think them through, and I knew it because Keira would never put herself at a disadvantage, certainly not with her words. Finally standing right in front of her, I placed my hands on either side of her head, caging her in.

I knew I hated her, I loathed every last thing about her, but whenever she was around, I wanted to be closer, maybe it was the control I relished in when she unknowingly surrendered a little, and maybe her surrender was the only reason I hadn't killed her yet. I needed her to stop seeing the shadow of the man she killed, the man she broke. All I'd ever be now was this bastard, and the sooner she'd look at me like one—and not with the disgusting emotion I'd once returned—we could get on with this game.

"Who let you in here?" She finally caught herself, her voice stern, but we both knew it was a futile attempt on her part, I still didn't miss the heaviness in her breathing, or the loud beating of her heart that somehow resonated inside my chest.

Leaning down, I ran my tongue over the shell of her ear, "I own Moscow. Did you really think you'd be able to breathe here without me allowing so?" I paused, and took her ear-lobe between my teeth, then loosened my hold, and laid open-mouthed kisses on her skin, trailing to the corner of her mouth, "Did you really think you could hide, little wolf?"

Her green eyes shone with something I couldn't decipher, and the shift of power didn't go unnoticed by me, or her. Keira straightened, tilting her head so her lips nearly grazed mine, but I leaned back, not willing to go down that road again. "I wasn't trying to hide, Niko, why would I hide from you when I'm your wife."

Instinctively, I clenched my jaw, unwilling to give her any reaction that would put me at a disadvantage, "Stop calling me that, it's Chernov to you." I said through gritted teeth, hanging onto sanity by a thin thread.

"Why?" She breathed out, bringing her hands closer to my face, but before she could, I caught her wrists in my hand and turned her around, her bound wrists on her lower back as I held her against the window, her back to my front.