>>>< 15 ><<<

>>>< All Actions have Consequences ><<<

Aiden sprayed the creature, and it flailed in pain. "Why isn't it screaming?" He asked, confused. I could hear the others running down the hall, but nothing from the one in front of us, even though some damage had definitely been done.

Ashlyn looked mad. "Guys come on!"

I grabbed another one of the bottles and took off the lid, throwing it at the ones quickly approaching us in a wide arch of liquid. Aiden and I locked eyes, both smiling.

"I think we can take em! There are more bottles-"
"No!"

We ran again, ending in the room where we were able to calm down. Then the banging started. Aiden was eyeing my weapon like he wanted it for himself, but I glared at him.

My metal pole.

Ashlyn muttered under her breath, loud enough for everyone to hear. "We should... put the couch up against the door."

We all worked to make sure no creature could force it's way inside by brute strength.

Everyone sat around the room. I sat on one side, alone. I had a migraine and my shoulder stung a bit, but that was only because I was too slow to get out of the way. I mentally berated myself until the silence of the people (humans) broke.

Aiden was chuckling. Tyler was immediately mad, as usual.
"Why are you laughing this time?"
"It's like we're in a zombie movie."
"And that's supposed to be funny?"
"Yeah."
"Is he insane or something?"

I spoke from across the room. "In fact, he is." He chuckled and looked at me. "You're one to talk."

Everyone was quiet for a moment, until Aiden spoke again, this time to Ashlyn.
"You're arm is scratched up? I thought you got out of the way in time."
"...I think this happened at the Sorrel House."

I noticed the gashes in her arm were dark bloody, but also not bleeding profusely. My shoulder was the same way, not bleeding through my shirt enough to be visible. My shirt was dark, so it didn't matter anyway.

Tyler yelled, and I flinched a bit at the loud noise, my head pounding. They argued for a while, but I barely paid attention, focusing on the wall.
"You mean you knew it was real and didn't think to mention it to any of us?!"
"I didn't tell anyone because I didn't think it was real. And right now isn't exactly a good time to talk about it, we should be coming up with a plan or-"
"And why should we listen to anything you say? This is all probably you're fault in the first place."
"Alright, fine. I get where you're coming from. Maybe I should have said something. And if blaming me makes helps you deal with the situation better, then so be it."
"Hey! What are you-"
"But if you aren't going to make yourself useful, make yourself scarce. Playing the blame game and figuring out what's going on can come after we are safe enough to talk it out. The facts are those creatures can kill us any moment. Instead of arguing, our time is better spent coming up with a plan. So unless you are going to help me do that, keep your trap shut and don't cause trouble."

Everyone was quiet for a good minute as the quiet girl went off. The last time I'd seen her like that was this one time at a restaurant when some kid kept bothering and harassing her, trying to get her number a few years ago.

Yeah, the entire restaurant went silent when she went off on him, and stayed that way for a good 10 minutes. The kid said nothing to us again and I haven't seen him since.

I zoned out again for a bit until everyone started searching the motel room for anything useful.

We had Taylor, a mechanic which could come in handy. We had Tyler, the angry one, but as least his anger could be put to good use in fights. We had Logan, the smart yet nervous nerd. We had Ben, who wasn't a nuisance, and a pretty big guy. We had Aiden, the psychopath. We had Ashlyn, the apparent leader. All very vital to a successful squad fighting phantoms.

And then there's me. I'm not quite sure where I fit in, if at all, but I needed to try and be an asset to the team.

I pulled myself up from my sullen state on the floor and joined in. 

What had become of my life?

word count: 728