>>>< 51 ><<<

A/n: guys I just realized I've written 51 chapters in a book that doesn't even have a proper title.

>>>< Emergency Medical Assistance ><<<

The waiting room was cramped and quiet, the air thick with suspense as everyone waited for any sign from the medical staff.

I sat between Ash and Aiden, Aiden's hand still intertwined with mine. Ben sat next to him, silently judging, but also more focused on Logan, who was huddled in a fetal position. Ashlyn had also noticed, but was too worried to care, entirely focused on Taylor, who sat on a separate couch with her mother.

Everything going on with Tyler had me questioning life and death again, and it's connection between the two dimensions. I imagine death so much it feels more like a memory. When's it gonna get me? In my sleep?

Whatever was going on with us was unexplainable, so sitting here in this dimly-lit hospital, waiting for doctors to come up an explanation for Tyler's condition, was an unfavorable situation. 

I wonder if I could have saved him. If I had moved just a little quicker. If I had been just a little more aware. If the seats had been just a little different. If I had been just been paying a little more attention to bumps in the road. Any little thing, and maybe we wouldn't be in this situation.

What if it had been me? What is Tyler going through right now?

...Did it hurt?

What had happened after we lost sight of him? There was no way we could have gone back without us all dying, meaning the only prevention would have been one of us grabbing him. It should've been me.

Aiden snapped me out of my thoughts, his nails digging into the back of my hand, just enough to get my attention. He wasn't smiling.

Aiden wasn't smiling.

He changed our positioning so it was more like he was holding me. He leaned in, close enough I could feel his breath on my neck. He dropped his voice to a whisper, so only I could hear.

"Y/n, I know you're overthinking and putting all the blame on yourself. What happened was in no way your fault. Putting all that guilt on yourself is only going to make it harder on everyone, I know that what happened was terrible, but I need you to realize it wasn't your fault, okay?"

I didn't reply, just leaning into him and his familiar smell. He was comforting, not just his words, but his presence also. When I was with him like this, I felt safe, even if I didn't feel like I was in danger prior. I didn't want to think too much on what exactly that meant about what we were, so I tabled the thought for another time.

I saw Ashlynn's dad get up from across the room, and I quickly put a little distance between Aiden and I. He looked confused for a moment, but then eventually caught on, and gave me a small smile.

That's when I noticed Ashlyn was crying. They exchanged a few words, then both left to go on a walk. After a couple minutes, when I figured no one would be paying attention, I leaned over and comfortably settled myself against Aiden's shoulder. He was warm, and I could very quickly feel myself falling asleep.

He must have picked up on this, because he started humming softly. The dull ebbing of sleep eventually overcame me as a dreamless darkness.

But I was safe.

A/N: GUYS OVERNIGHT WE REACHED 100K RAHHHH THANK YOU ALL SO MUCHHH <3

word count: 584