>>>< 29 ><<<

>>>< The Talk ><<<

"So... what'd you kids want to talk about?" Ashlyn's father started.

I stayed silent, observing the intense show in front of me. Ashlyn stuttered a bit. "Oh- um... right. We uh..." She nervously stood up. "Do you... notice anything weird about my shadow.

We all sit there and stare. What I know I saw was Ash standing there, the shadow showing her short hair, and the weird part? Her shadow had two empty spots that would be where eyes would go, as if there was nothing there.

Creepy, am I right?

Anyway, after a few moments, her parents nervously said, "Well- not uh... not particularly, no?"

Oh, the confusion they must feel. Cute.

The room sank into a sullen silence as they all realized that wouldn't work. After a long moment I coughed softly to bring the attention back to the problem at hand. The real one.

"Ah- no, nevermind. Forget about it." Ashlyn got the hint quickly, at least. "But, we do need your help. The thing is... Logan has been getting bullied. That's how he got the bruise on his cheek."

She paused, then smirked at me in triumph. "And why Y/n has after school detention. Apparently they feel defending their friend is a good enough reason to nearly hit someone in the head with a metal pole at full force."

I could practically feel the glare from her parents, pretty much mine as well. They could have gone without knowing that.

"Anyway. I told him that you guys could probably teach him some self-defense but, he's a little anxious to learn on his own, so we offered to learn with him. If you don't mind, could you teach them the basics?"

I had to control myself forcibly from speaking my mind. It isn't my fault that I really don't need the lessons, but kinda got dragged into it anyway.

Like, honestly. Have y'all freakin' met me?

"...I mean, I don't mind."
"Me neither,,, sounds pretty fun actually- but are all of your parents okay with that?"
"Yeah- ask them first."

They all seemed to have completely forgotten. 

"I don't want any unnecessary drama from other parents when their kids start coming home bruised."
"Got it, thanks, dad."
"No problem, trooper."

I laughed softly to myself at her nickname. Brought back memories of the first time they tried to teach Ashlyn about fighting. Let's just say the little trooper didn't love it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tyler was pouring our water into the storage system, being his normal grumbly self.

"Don't you think it's a tad ironic that we chose this place as our shelter because of the high walls, yet now we have to fortify those walls?"

Aiden had to make a responding remark, as per usual. One day he was going to get beat for his smart mouth.

Looks like I may be getting in another fight soon. I wouldn't let the cute blond ruin his pretty little face, anyway.

"Yeah, well we didn't exactly predict that the phantoms could scale a concrete, thirteen-foot wall."

"And we didn't choose it just because of the walls. We have various tools and materials here, there's an electric generator, and we're able to bring items we need during the day because my dad owns it. You voted just the same as the rest of us did to use the graveyard, so stop whining."

I couldn't prevent the snort. It was inevitable. I was met with a glare from Tyler of course. Obviously, that gesture wasn't appreciated, as Aiden came up behind me and wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

"I'm not whining, just pointing out the irony. I'm still not sure it was worth the effort it took just to get here."

I could understand why he had been upset. They all had to run through town, while Ash just had to cross the yard, when we all woke in our homes. That's also when Logan was given the rifle to protect himself.

Taylor, the peacemaker, as usual, was able to settle her twin. "Well, we're here now, so let's just make the best of it and move on."

"Agreed. Another benefit of the graveyard though- is that we're able to set traps around the area during the day as well."

I got a tingly feeling in my chest. Something big was coming up.

Of course, the outcome probably wouldn't be good.

word count: 699