3. Last Minute Band Practice

Adrien creaks the door open, peeking a look at his classmate, Marinette. He didn't know why he was hiding; he just knew he didn't want to be caught staring at her. All night he tossed and turned, dreaming up questions he needed answered about Marinette and her new growing romance with Luka.

Marinette stands at her locker, grabbing her dead tablet, and she sighs to herself, letting her shoulders dropped. She forgot to charge it—again. "Why does this always happen to me?" She mumbles to herself.

This is Marinette, why am I being so shy? He thinks to himself. With a burst of confidence, he fully steps in the locker room and walks over. "H-Hey, Marinette—"

"AHH!" The pigtailed girl screeches, not expecting his company, and she drops her tablet on her foot. "Ow, ow, ow," She repeats to herself, hopping on one foot now, and she bares her teeth as she winces in pain. "Hi, Adrien."

"Sorry, I wasn't trying to scare you." Adrien bends down and picks up her tablet. "Here. Is your foot okay?"

"Yeah, it's—" Her words disappear as their fingers brush and the warmth of his skin sends her in a frizzy. "I-I, umm... yeah, they're good. They're chilling. My piggies are good." She mentally slaps herself. This is Adrien, why am I being so shy?

"Your piggies?" He repeats with a chuckle.

Marinette crosses her arms over her chest. You have a boyfriend now. You can't be all lovesick over Adrien anymore. Get it together. "So, what's up, Adrien?"

"Umm, I..." He scratches the back of his neck. "I just wanted to ask you something."

She raises an eyebrow, asking.

"Last night, when you, me, Luka, and Kagami were ice skating, was that a date? Like, a real one? You know, the ones couples have? R-Romantic partners have?"

"Huh?" She asks, tilting her head.

Adrien clears his throat before blurting out, "Are you and Luka dating now?"

"You're acting weird today," Marinette admits, not sure what to make of Adrien's sudden curiosity of her dating life.

"I just want to make sure this is what you want," He says with a proud nod. "We're friends; I'm always gonna have your back."

She laughs and rests her hand on his shoulder. "That's sweet, Adrien, but Luka's a good guy. Trust me."

"Are you sure?"

"Thank you for caring, but you don't have to worry." She gathers her stuff and they head to class together. "Think Miss Bustier will be mad again for my tablet not being charged?"

"It's Miss Mendeleiev you have to watch out for." Satisfied with his ability to still make Marinette laugh, he pushes his confusing feelings aside and asks, "So, are you seeing Luka again?"

"I'm going to his house after school to help write some new songs for Kitty Section."

This catches his attention. Before thinking, he asks, "Can I come along? I'm in the band, too, and I can help write songs. Granted, I'm not as good as Luka, but I can manage."

Marinette shrugs. "I don't see why not. Sure."

Adrien doesn't realize, but he smiles to himself.

***

Marinette and Adrien walk across the bridge to Luka's boat-house. She spots the blue-haired musician on the deck playing his guitar. "Hi, Luka!" She greets with a big smile, waving.

"Hey, M-M-M-Marinette—" Luka pauses as he looks up and sees Adrien walking beside her. He wasn't expecting him to be here, too. Did Marinette invite him? "Hey, Adrien. Didn't expect to see you here."